Looking for ideas for garage soffit lighting

Old 07-13-17, 07:45 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Looking for ideas for garage soffit lighting

My garage is a pretty ordinary double overhead door style, with 24" soffit and light brown face brick. I'm looking for tips to make this look nice and throw a lot of light. I'd partiularly like a lot of light into the driveway and not just flooding the overhead door--if possible.

Right now it has a single twin flood, eave mount, centered.

I don't want wall lights.

I'm looking for something more like 3 LED downlights, as in the attached photo. Looking for ideas about specific brands and models, diameter, Lumens, K and CRI ratings etc., to make this look attractive and function well. You usually see 2 downlights in this application, but 3 looks better to me.

And fairly simple--probably nothing with external drivers and special wiring.

How would 120V, 80CRI, 3000K look and perform in this application? What ratings would be better? Is there another approach altogether?

Name:  soffitlighting1.jpg
Views: 14485
Size:  6.3 KB

Old 07-14-17, 04:41 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, there are many retro kits for LED down lights, I would check the Big box stores and see what is available for your fixtures, it may be a bit of trial and error until you find what you like, they can always be returned, do you know the mfg. of your current fixtures?
Geo

Old 07-14-17, 12:11 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
more

There are no lights now except a twin flood in the center.

I am looking at 2 right now.

1-Commercial Electric 6 inch soft white. 650 lumens, 2700K, 90+ CRI. Model # CE-JB6-650L-27K-E26-2 (Home Depot)

2-Westinghouse 7 3/8" LED outdoor. 1050 lumens, 3000K, 80 CRI. Model # Westinghouse 6322700.

Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't consider eyeball cans so I can direct the light away from the door and onto the driveway more.

Old 07-14-17, 12:21 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't consider eyeball cans so I can direct the light away from the door and onto the driveway more.
I was wondering about your choice of cans when you said you wanted to illuminate the driveway more than the door. Personally, given where you want the light thrown, I don't think cans are the right choice.

Old 07-15-17, 07:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I think installing eyeballs would not look very good and would be like driving into a set of headlights when coming up the driveway. If you want more light out to the driveway the best option would be carriage lights, which you said you don't want, or flood lights, which you already have.

If you have the room, I would suggest installing standard remodel can lights instead of the lights you posted. You can then use almost any trim/lamp out there, and there is a lot out there. If you do not have the space in the soffit I would then suggest something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX8GTWP?psc=1 or this: https://www.amazon.com/Lithonia-Ligh...+remodel+light I think the Lithonia ones are also available at Big Orange. While I have not used these, I did see some installed on TV and it was fairly easy. Just cut your hole, fish the wires, and make the connections.

I see you are in Mpls, so if you want see something similar in person I know Viking electric has some Green Creative ones you can check out. Hope that helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: