Connecting ceiling fan wires

Old 08-13-17, 12:30 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connecting ceiling fan wires

I just bought a ceiling fan-light and am ready to connect the wires. The power wire in the ceiling has two wires: grey and white. The fan/light motor has three wires: black, white and blue(for the light). Do I connect the black, white and blue to the grey and the white to white? If not, what is the proper connection?

Old 08-13-17, 12:40 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
What country are you in? You show an IP for U.S. and one for Switzerland. This is primarily a North American forum. (In the U.S. white and gray are both neutral. You would also need a hot. We don't know your colors for hot and neutral though based on most European countries gray and white seem odd.)

Last edited by ray2047; 08-13-17 at 02:20 AM.
Old 08-13-17, 04:25 AM
T
Clarification

I don't recall typing Switzerland. I'm in Thailand. I installed about 50 fans when I lived in the states, so like you, I'm puzzled by the grey/white vs. black/white in their power cord(220-volt system). Since there are no other wires(excluding the ground wire), I have to assume grey is black. Assuming I'[m right, the fan motor's black(marked Live AC) and blue(marked Light) wires should both connect to the grey wire in the power cord and the white motor wire(marked neutral) should be connected to the white wire in the power cord. What other configuration could there possibly be?

Old 08-13-17, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
If you had a voltmeter you could check from either wire to ground. The hot wire will show your 220v.

Old 08-18-17, 10:07 PM
T
I'm not as dumb as I sound....

Since I learned that circuit breakers have arrived in Thailand and, lucky me, we have them in my condo, I decided to shut the main breaker off and connect the logical(to me) wires together: the blue and black with the power black and the white with the power white and then turn the breaker back on. Since it didn't trip, I assumed it worked. It did, so problem solved.

Old 08-18-17, 10:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
In your original post it was white and grey.
So we can assume you treated the grey as hot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: