Convert can light to ceiling fan

Old 08-15-17, 08:58 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question Convert can light to ceiling fan

I have a ceiling-flush caned light; one of those with a screw-in light bulb with a ceiling trim ring; it is a 6" variety. It's above my breakfast nook and I would like to convert it to a small ceiling fan. Now, I've seen online these kits that convert them into an electrical box capable of supporting a ceiling fan, but I have my doubts.

Does anyone have actual experience in using one of these products?

Thank you.

Old 08-15-17, 09:07 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I've seen online these kits that convert them into an electrical box capable of supporting a ceiling fan
Never seen one. Post a link.

Old 08-15-17, 10:12 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Cans are usually supported between joists, fans usually have boxes attached to joist to support weight.

Old 08-16-17, 01:57 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
And old work cans rely on the Sheetrock to hold them. Neither of which is suitable for a dynamic load. (The real problem with ceiling fans isn't so much weight as that they are a dynamic not static load.)

Old 08-17-17, 12:48 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Here s the Amazon product I was looking at:

The Can Converter R56 Recessed Can Light Conversion Kit for 5" and 6" Recessed Cans. From the Manufacturer
The R56 Can Converter converts 5" or 6" recessed can lights in minutes. The Can Converter is a revolutionary product that adapts almost any recessed light fixture or can light to work with other types of light fixtures. This handy light adapter makes it a snap for anyone to install can light conversions. You can modify can lights to hang a ceiling fan, ceiling light, light canopy, swag light, pendant light or just about any other type of light fixture in minutes - can conversion has never been so easy! The Can Converter works with most standard types of lights, including juno lighting and halo lighting and most varieties of can light kits, can light fittings and can light hardware.

In the comment section, it appears that there are mixed reviews as it related to mounting ceiling fans. What seems to be the distinguishing factor is if your can is joist mounted or just sitting on top of the drywall. Mine are original to the year 2000 home build in California. Does that improve the likelihood I have a joint secured can light?

Old 08-17-17, 12:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
You can remove the trim ring and be able to tell what type of can it is. You more than likely have new work cans that are fastened to the joists. Even with this type of mounting it still relies heavily on the sheetrock for support as the fixture bars are not holding much up.

I don't like the idea of converting and would not recommend it to one of my customers.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: