Adding Lights

Old 12-11-17, 11:11 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding Lights

I have a few questions about how to add new lights to existing circuits.

I want to add a small closet light and strongly prefer to get power from a nearby outlet. I don't know if this outlet is middle or end of run.
-Can I still connect from here if it is middle of the run?
-Is there any reason the new wire for the closet light can't exit from the bottom of the outlet box and then over to the new closet switch?

I also want to add 4-6 additional lights to a family room. Currently, the family room just has one switched outlet and no hard wired lights. I'm going to hire a pro-electrician for the final answer on this, but will I probably have to run a new wire from the panel, or might it be possible to add the lights from the existing outlet circuit?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-11-17, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,318 Votes on 1,218 Posts
It doesn't make a difference where the receptacle is in the run. As long as it is always live you should be able to connect into it. As far as which side the wiring can exit from..... turn the circuit off, pull the receptacle out (without disconnecting) and investigate how the wiring enters the box now. There are usually two knockouts on the top and two on the bottom.

You can add lights to an existing circuit but it depends what is already on the circuit. It's more desirable to have the lighting on a different circuit from the receptacles so in case of a trip... you'll still have lights. You electrician should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: