kitchen range/exhaust fan ducting to the outside

Old 12-28-17, 12:56 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
kitchen range/exhaust fan ducting to the outside

Going to be doing my kitchen over soon and doing up the plans. one of the things I want to add is an exhaust fan over the range vented to the outside. the electric range/oven is in the center of the kitchen on an interior wall, and my plan is to run the duct up through the cabinet, in to the ceiling and along the 2nd fl. joists to the outside wall. the run to the outside wall is about 10'. because there is a shed roof on the outside kitchen wall, I would need to drop the exterior vent down about 6-8" from the ceiling joists, inside the exterior kitchen wall before exiting so I can stay under the soffit of the shed roof (there are no soffit vents near the exit point).

Is this small drop OK? I don't want to go straight up out the roof for obvious reasons.

Bad drawing attached. thanks as always!

john p

Attached Images  
Old 12-28-17, 01:12 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
How are you proposing getting down that exterior wall? Cutting through the top wall plates? I've seen homes (mine included) where a soffit is built along the ceiling to run the ducting, which also caps off the cabinets nicely, so you don't have a void above. This way you just come straight out the exterior wall.

Old 12-28-17, 01:51 PM
G
thank you that could be a nice alternative. the house is about 150+ years old and it's what I think is called balloon framing so I think there are no plates but I need to investigate before I know for sure. if so is the drop for the duct OK?

Old 12-29-17, 07:59 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Balloon framing or not, the rafters are presumably resting on a top plate. What's your concern with going out the roof? Is there a floor above or is it attic space? You said 2nd floor joists, so I'm assuming there is living space above (is that what you meant by "for obvious reasons"?).

I'm not an expert in this field, but it seems to me that you would not want an exhaust vent to drop at all. It should be all up hill.

An alternative to building a soffit would be to run the duct along the top of the cabinets against the wall and try to conceal it by installing a piece of crown moulding across the top of the cabinets. Depending on the orientation of the room, vantage point, etc, you may not even see the duct. You could also paint it to match the wall color so it isn't as noticeable.

Last edited by mossman; 12-29-17 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-29-17, 06:02 PM
G
was hoping to keep it in the ceiling and not give up cabinet space, but as you guys suggest it along the top would work as well and be [pretty inconspicuous.and yes my concern in any drop was that you would prefer all up hill!

Old 12-29-17, 06:05 PM
G
oh and as for roof vs wall, there's a small shed roof above where it would exit which is cedar shingled and a bit touchy let's say. out the wall just below would be nice and inconspicuous and just less trouble frankly.

Old 12-30-17, 05:14 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Hi, itís hard to tell from the drawing ,is that fan mounted under the cabinets above the range in the standard way?can you run the duct perpendicular to the rafters and out the gable end of the house?
Geo

Old 12-30-17, 05:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
Your walls will be framed with 2x4 which will only give you 3 1/2 - 4" of space for your vent. The hood you are planning to install will likely need something larger then a 4" vent to properly work plus you show 3 90's which will cut your flow as well. Heck, bath fans typically need 4" minimum and they are only about 100 cfm.

Go through the roof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: