Dimmer switch on 3 way?

Old 01-05-18, 04:42 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dimmer switch on 3 way?

I have recessed lighting in my basement. I have 3 light switches that control them. One in the garage, one at the walk out basement door and one at the top of the stairs. I want to put a dimmer switch On the one at the top of the stairs. Is that possible? Can I just replace the current light switch with a 3 way dimmer?

Old 01-05-18, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Yes and no.
FYI.... that's called a 4 way system. A 4 way system is 2) 3 way switches and then additional 4 way switches.

Some dimmers claim to work with existing switches. The claim relies on the wiring being set up a certain way.

I no longer will install any single 3 way dimmers. I install a dimmer and then use additional slave dimmers. This method always works. The wiring will not be plug and play. Wire connections will need to be changed.

Old 01-05-18, 05:09 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Okay thank you. My brother had looked at it awhile back and said because of the way it's wired with the travelers the dimmer switch would need to b at the garage location.

Old 01-05-18, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Depending on the dimmer.... that is correct. Some dimmers need to be at the line end and some at the load end.

With a dedicated dimmer and its slave remotes.... the dimmer can be at either three way switch location.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: