Wiring ceiling fan with 2 switches and electric cables

Old 02-25-18, 12:58 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring ceiling fan with 2 switches and electric cables

I am replacing a ceiling fan and didn't take pictures or label wiring priority to removing the old fan. Yes my bad!

I have 2 wall switches, each with a separate cable leading into the box in the ceiling. Each of the 2 cables has black, white, and ground. The ceiling fan has black, blue, white, and green wires. I have connected the black on the ceiling fan to one of the incoming black; connected the blue on the ceiling fan to the other incoming black; connected the green on the ceiling fan to the 2 incoming grounds.

Now what do I do with the 2 incoming whites and the single white on the ceiling fan? I tried connecting all 3 of them together. When I do that, the fan will not work at all and the lights (CFL) buzz and flicker.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-18, 01:11 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Does power come in at the switch or the light? What color wires on the switch? How many cables at the light. (Cable: 2 or more wires in a sheath.)

Note you can not use a non contact tester to determine what cable is hot. Disconnect the cable and use a test light or multimeter.

Old 02-25-18, 04:12 PM
C
The power comes in through the switch. There are 2 switches and each has a separate cable that terminates in the box for the ceiling fan. So there are a total of 2 cables at the ceiling fan.

As far as the switches themselves, both have 2 incoming cables and one outgoing cable. One switch does not have the black wire attached to the switch on the outgoing (to ceiling fan) side.

Old 02-25-18, 07:05 PM
As far as the switches themselves, both have 2 incoming cables and one outgoing cable.
DOESN"T make sense.Do you mean wires? Do you mean three wires on the switch (not including ground).

How to insert images. https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-pictures.html

Old 02-25-18, 07:55 PM
C
Name:  20180225_160034.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  87.7 KBName:  20180225_160210.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  87.6 KBI meant it exactly as I said it. You pointed out that a cable 2 or more wires in a sheath, so I was very careful with my terminology. For each switch, there are 2 incoming and one outgoing (to the ceiling fan) cables. I included pictures in my previous post. Did they not come though? In those pictures, the right side is incoming power and the left side is outgoing to the ceiling fan.

I am including the pictures again just in case.

Old 02-25-18, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,184 Votes on 1,096 Posts
You didn't mention motor home or manufactured home wiring which uses somewhat confusing devices.

Are those both switches ?
In the bottom picture.... one of the black wires is not pinched in place.

Old 02-26-18, 05:48 AM
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
Take one cable at a time ,at the switch test for power on black to white feed then with the switch on identify the other end at the fan,do the same for the switch, use one cable at the fan ,black to black and white to white from the fan, will the fan work now ? those terminations at the switches definitely need some attention, looks like a fire hazard to me
Geo

Old 02-26-18, 05:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Pictures are to close up step back a little so we can see what it is.

Old 02-26-18, 08:07 AM
C
Here's wide shot of the 2 switches so you can see what's going on.

Attached Images  
Old 02-26-18, 03:04 PM
C
Is there enough information now to answer how I would properly wire up the ceiling fan?

Old 02-26-18, 09:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,184 Votes on 1,096 Posts
Each switch has a power in and power out cable on the bottom. Each switch has one switched out cable to the fan and light. That means the wiring as you originally stated should work.

Can we assume that the two switches are on the same circuit breaker ?

Those devices can be real problems. Those push-in and pinch connections can be very intermittent. I don't remember ever seeing two sets of wire stuffed in the same push-in connections. A voltmeter, even a basic analog one, would be very helpful.

Old 02-26-18, 11:20 PM
Just opinion: I'd be tempted to install a box and conventional switches if the wall spacepermits.