Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

help with installing 6" remodel cans in between joists with little width space

Old 03-29-18, 05:59 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi I'm installing 6 inch remodel recessed cans in my ceiling but I guess being a older house the joist space is not as wide as most homes. I measured about 9.5 inches width and some that are 8 inches wide that I want to use. The cans will fit in the openings and probably the 9.5 inch space joists I could have enough room to fasten the cans clips to the drywall but the 8 inch wide joists probably won't allow me to fasten the 2 clips that is facing the joists (tight fit) Would it be secure enough if I fasten only 2 of the clips to the drywall ceiling that are away from the joists? and if not I could I also screw a couple of wood screws in the opening where the clips go to the joist to secure it? To me it looks like it could work but I wanted to get another opinion before I proceed. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-29-18, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Rotate the can 45 degrees and they will probably fit. Or use 5" cans instead.

Old 03-30-18, 05:46 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Sometimes the placement of rafters/joists are not ideal.

Replaced all our ceiling lights with cans anf down one hallway I actually moved a rafter over 3" just to get the can in the center.

As noted smaller cans will help or if you have access from the top you can attach the can to a piece of plywood and glue that to the drywall and not even use the clips.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: