Removing Pendant Light

Old 04-09-18, 03:18 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing Pendant Light

Hey everyone!

I have a pendant light in my kitchen that is wired to a switch that has a switch with one of those tiny sliding dimmers right next to the switch. See the picture below. The left switch is the one that goes to the pendant light and the right goes to other recessed lights in the kitchen. That's probably all extra information but I figured it's better to give MORE information. I would like to remove the pendant light and am wondering how to do so safely? Do I just turn off the power, remove the pendant light, cap off the ends of the wires with those plastic twisting electrical cap and wrap in electrical tape, put one of those round plastic covers over the ceiling hole and call it a day? Do I need to remove the switch? I've replaced receptacles, light switches, and lights before but never got rid of something completely.

Name:  Screenshot_9.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  25.9 KB

Old 04-09-18, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
Put wire nuts on all the wires in the lighting box. The switch can stay as it is.
You can use what is called a canopy blank cover kit.

Westinghouse-4-3-4-in-White-Outlet-Concealer

Old 04-09-18, 08:21 PM
Received 716 Upvotes on 637 Posts
You could also remove the switch and cap those wires and get a cover plate to cover the wall switch. I believe they now make kits to join different type of wall plates for just such occasions. You can make your own combination of switch, and outlets cover plates.

Old 04-29-18, 11:26 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I capped the wires and used the canopy blank cover kit. Worked great. Will probably end up doing what Norm suggested too. The big box store didn't have the wall plate that was blank on one side and switch on the other but Amazon has it. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: