Wiring under cabinet lights to kitchen light switch?

Old 04-13-18, 07:21 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring under cabinet lights to kitchen light switch?

I am working on remodeling my kitchen. I want to add under cabinet lighting and have it operate with my kitchen light switch. Do i hard wire it in or add a receptacle in a out of sight spot like in a cabinet hard wired in the switch circuit and then plug the under cabinet light into the switched receptacle?

skeeter

Old 04-13-18, 09:16 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If the undercabinet light has a plug then you should use a receptacle because code says you shouldn't alter a device.The first question though is do you have power at the switch. If there is only two wires, a black and white on the switch, you don't have power at the switch.

Old 04-13-18, 09:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I have my switched outlets inside the cabinets. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the cabinet to run the power cord through. Everything is out of sight but still easily accessible when it's time to replace a power supply or lights.

Old 04-13-18, 02:13 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have as many wires as i want at the switch because i will be wiring it from scratch. This will be a gut remodel. Everything goes and will be starting over with new. Currently my plan is to run 14/2 w/grd to switch then out to all receptacles. might be a little extra on romex but it seems the simplest to understand in my puny brain. So receptacle in cabinet does sound like the best approach. Like Pilot Dane says, makes it easier if/when you want to change the lights.

skeeter

Old 04-14-18, 01:43 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
A receptacle circuit in the cabinets strictly for low voltage lighting shouldn’t be a problem.
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: