Shortening chandelier's chain

Old 04-15-18, 07:18 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Shortening chandelier's chain

Hi all,

I need to bring the chandelier closer to the ceiling, as it is way too low now.

I suppose I will start by opening the small oval link connected to the larger circular one. Then move the chandelier with its large circular link higher and closer to the ceiling, and open another small oval link there where to connect it to.
The chandelier has an electric cable. So I guess someone will have to hold the chandelier while I do the above steps.

Does anyone see a problem with my plan? Or a way to improve it?

Thanks guys

DPC

Attached Images   
Old 04-15-18, 10:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Make it easy on yourself. Open the link directly above the fixture. Use that as a hook to hang the chandelier where you want it. Close that link and then remove the in between links. You may be able to hide the extra wire at the fixture or you'll need to slide it thru the chain to the end.

The chain links are fairly soft and easy to open with a pair of pliers.

Name:  chandelier_chain.jpg
Views: 5113
Size:  21.3 KB

You may be able to open a link at the canopy but that would probably require additional help to hold the fixture.

Old 04-15-18, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Just want to throw in, from a decorating point of view, don't make it too short or it won't look right. For an 8' ceiling, it should be about 30 - 34" between the table top and bottom of chandelier.

Old 04-16-18, 08:12 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Some good input so far! You could also use a carabeener (sp?) to hold the light while you work on it, and to check to see if you like the new height before you start the actual shortening of the chain.
Good luck with your project!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: