Rotary switch wiring for DIY lamp

Old 05-10-18, 09:02 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rotary switch wiring for DIY lamp

Been looking at various DIY projects and today came across something that would be fairly cheap for me to do. (Most of the parts at least the pipes i could get for next to nothing or free. Brother in law is a plumber and has lots of said items just laying around in buckets.) I want to make a pipe lamp. I seen many of them using a garden faucet and Rotary switch. I like this and want to make it as simple as I can for myself. My question is how can it wire it to an existing lamp cord. Most I have seen is all wiring done on their own not into an existing cord. Posting pictures below so anyone reading will get an idea of what I am wanting to put together.

Name:  pl1.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  15.3 KB

Name:  pl2.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  10.9 KB

Name:  pl3.jpg
Views: 1537
Size:  49.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-11-18 at 09:20 AM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-18, 06:25 AM
B
Received 93 Votes on 81 Posts
In your pictures, the black wire on power cord is connected to 1 of 2 black wires from the switch. The other black wire from switch connects to the black wire on the lamp socket. The white wire on the lamp socket connects to the white wire on power cord. Wire length will be determined by the size of the lamp frame. All electrical connections ( wire nuts, solder, etc) need to be concealed within the lamp frame. Solder connections need insulation also. I personally would use a 3 prong plug and tie the metal lamp frame to the ground wire since the metal pipe internals can have sharp protusions from manufacturing that could eventually penetrate the wire insulation if there is vibration. The 3 prong plug also prevents reversing a 2 prong plug leaving the lamp socket powered with the switch off. Good luck.

Old 05-11-18, 07:04 AM
W
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
I would use one of these for the bulb socket and switch:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-3-Way-...ocket/16561574

Old 05-11-18, 11:28 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The idea id to get it something similar to the second one, the hose piece being the switch to turn the bulb on and off. So far thanks for the help all