Exterior Motion Sensing Dimmers

Old 05-18-18, 02:01 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior Motion Sensing Dimmers

Hi all, new guy here because Google isn't helping me.

My Issue: I hate it when motion sensors will slam the lights up to 100% with 0 fade. Seems like the available ones are either on or off, but I did find one that will keep your lights at x %, then brings them up to 100% when motion is detected. Pretty cool, but no fading options.

My want: I want the lights to fade from 0 to 100 gently. Any other options like hold at 25%, fade up to 100%, wait Y time, then fade back down to 25, are bonus, but not necessary for me.

I've read on other forums that this effect is possible using smart home gear, but surely there has to be an off the shelf product that can do this. Lutron makes motion sensors that do this perfectly, but for interior switches only. Anyone know of an exterior product that can do this?

Old 05-18-18, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,331 Votes on 1,230 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Anyone know of an exterior product that can do this?
I am not aware of any off the shelf outdoor motion sensor like that.

Old 05-21-18, 08:07 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I just bought a solar-powered motion-sensor (Home Depot) light that comes on dimly at dusk and stays that way til it detects movement, then comes on 100% for 30 seconds.

I returned it because I don't want a security light that stays lit all night. I'm picky about "light pollution" and live far from the city.

If that's your cup of tea they're $13 each & you can stick it anywhere--no wires. They WOULD be very cool for a garden walkway or steps off a deck, for example.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: