Ceiling Fan W/Remote change to Wall Switches

Old 05-30-18, 09:38 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan W/Remote change to Wall Switches

I recently purchased a remote only Hunter Ceiling Fan with light kit. I would like to wire it up so it is controlled by two wall switches and only uses the remote for fan speed.

The fan came with a remote and receiver. No pull chains.

House has Red & Black hot (from two wall switches), white neutral, and ground.

Receiver has Black and white inputs. Black (motor), Blue (light), and white (motor) outputs.

Fan has Black (motor), Blue (light), and white.

Here is my wiring diagram:

House black to fan blue (light)
House red to remote input black
House white to remote input white and fan white
House ground to fan mount ground
Remote out black to fan black (motor)
Remote out white (capped)
Remote out blue (capped)

ASSUMPTION: fan white is a common neutral to motor and light

With this wiring, the fan wall switch works as expected AND speed is controlled by the remote. However, the light wall switch only controls the light if the fan wall switch is on... even if the fan is turned off with the hand held the remote.

Fan Wall Switch -- Light Wall Switch ------- Actual Result ------ Expected Result
---- On -------------------- On ------------- Fan on / Light on ----- Fan on / Light on (success)
---- On -------------------- Off ------------- Fan on / Light off ----- Fan on / Light off (success)
---- Off -------------------- On ------------- Fan off / Light off ----- Fan off / Light on (fail)
---- Off -------------------- Off ------------- Fan off / Light off ----- Fan off / Light off (success)

I have used this wiring scheme with other fans and had no problems. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 05-30-18, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Your wiring going up to and at the fan is correct. It sounds like the issue is at the wall switches.

There should be a common hot to both switches. That sounds like where the issue is and needs to be checked.

Old 06-01-18, 08:28 AM
M
@PJmax Thanks for the reply. That would certainly explain why when we bought the house the light didn't work. I just believed it was an ugly and broken fixture. I'll have to check the switch wiring and see.

Old 06-04-18, 09:54 AM
I
Hellow Mrlightsman and PJMax,

The hunter fan i finally installed yesterday also has similar configuration as mrlightman's. And I also have similar requirement of two separate wall toggle switches. My fan came with remote receiver (no pull chains) but my receiver wiring is different from mrlightsman's.

I have already connected one wall toggle switch as master switch. This is all working the way it is supposed to. But I want to change it (two wall switches and use remote for speed control only)

Receiver:
One side of the unit: black and white
Other side: yellow and blue

Fan: Black, white and blue (plus groundwire on downrod)

Ceiling Box: White, yellow and blue (i have capped off yellow)

Wall switches: Two red and one blue. Yellow has been capped off

Could you tell me how to wire this for two wall switches and remote for speed only operation?

Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: