Replacing ceiling fan with chandelier

Old 06-03-18, 11:37 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing ceiling fan with chandelier

I am attempting to replace my ceiling fan with a chandelier. There are 4 wires from the ceiling. The copper ground, a gold neutral, red live, and black live wire. I attached my chandelier to the ground, neutral to gold, and live to black. I then capped the red wire. I flipped the switch and worked like a charm. I then proceeded to clean up and went to flip the switch again and the circuit breaker tripped. There is a set of three switches to the bedroom and two of them make the red and black wire live at the same time. I reset the breaker and now Iím not sure what to do. The breaker keeps tripping. I tried swapping to the red wire with the same result. Not really sure where to go from here. Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-03-18, 11:50 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Your wiring sounds correct except neurals are white or gray. Gold is not a color commonly found.

Sometimes when you put a fixture in a box two wires that shouldn't touch but will. Try checking the wires at the light. If you used the wire nuts that came with the new
light that may be a problem. They are what I call fake wire nuts because there is no spring inside to grip the wires well and could fall off.

Old 06-04-18, 08:48 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am using the original wire nuts. Iím going to try to cap the red wire at the light switch as well. Iím just out of ideas as to why this is tripping the breaker. It worked the very first time and now just trips the breaker over and over...

Old 06-04-18, 04:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Tell us the number and colors of conductors at the switches and the ceiling box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: