Adding switches for lights to separate

Old 06-09-18, 08:34 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Adding switches for lights to separate

In my building there are a dozen or so fluorescent fixtures wired up to several switches. Whenever they were originally installed the lights we're all set up to come on regardless of what room they are in. Now I want to take a few of those lights and move them to a new Switch so I don't have to turn everything on. Originally in this building there was no separate rooms but recently they added partitions and built in a little office. So now what I would like to do is make it where the office can be turned on separately from the rest of the building. I have plenty of switches available so I'm wondering what the best course of action would be?

Old 06-09-18, 09:11 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Easy to do to but a bit hard to explain, install the fixtures you want in each room, then wire them in a daisy chain together leaving one end free to go to the switch location, you will then to bring a constant feed to the switch, keep in mind you will need a neutral at each location even if it’s not used now, so a 3 wire will be needed.
Geo

Old 06-09-18, 09:30 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I have several switches that have power to them already because there's like six rows of Lights each on their own switch. So couldn't I break the daisy chain to all of these lights? Everything is existing I just need to get 6 fixtures on their own switch.

Old 06-09-18, 11:37 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Isolate the fixtures you want to reswitch, daisy chain them and bring a switchleg over to them, it may mean refeeding some fixtures. Is the switch location for the new lights going to change?
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: