Ceiling fan box wobbly.

Old 07-03-18, 04:57 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan box wobbly.

I'm putting a ceiling fan in one of our bedrooms. I picked up a ceiling fan mount like the attached picture, because the existing box was between two joists. I've installed the mount and the box, but the box itself is a bit wobbly because the bar on the mount is round. The box swivels a bit around the rod, even though the mounting screws are as tight as they will go. Is this expected? Will this be a problem when mounting the fan?

Attached Images  
Old 07-03-18, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Yes, it will be a problem. You should put a piece of horizontal blocking between the joists, secure it on both ends, and then screw that box to it. You might want to mark and drill your hole in the blocking first by removing one of the knockouts.

Old 07-03-18, 05:34 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't have good access to the joists, unfortunately. This mount is supposed to work without access to the joists. Kinda stinks.

Old 07-03-18, 05:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Blocking is a great idea if you have access from above.

The box should be slightly shy of the bottom of the ceiling and the fan canopy will hold it tight. If the hole around the box is excessively large..... use some mud (spackle) to fill in around the box.

Old 07-04-18, 02:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I have put in a few of those and never had a problem as long as the fan is in balance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: