Outdoor motion light from Indoor outlet

Old 07-13-18, 06:31 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outdoor motion light from Indoor outlet

Hello everyone - looking to tap into an outlet on a 15 amp breaker within a room in my house that doesn't have any devices plugged into the room.This outlet will be used to feed power to a security light. The light fixture will be outside right behind the new outlet which will be changed to a outlet switch combo. The light fixture will be attached to the vinyl siding of the house. The new outlet switch combo will be inside the house. The distance between the outlet switch combo and the fixture is about 8-10 inches. I want the new outlet to always be on and the switch to control (on/off/dusk to dawn settings) the security light outside. The security light will be 110 volts and 30 watts. The old outlet had two black wires on the right side and 2 white wires on the left (I think that it fed power to another outlet). After I removed this outlet this is how I plan on doing the connection. Does this seem ok?

​​​​​​Ground wires twisted together.
-------
From light
Piggy back wire off of switch
From Main power (already had ground from other outlet crimped with it)

White wires twisted together.
--------
From light
From Main power
From other outlet
From pigtail wire on Silver screw on outlet

Black wires
---------
From light on brass screw on the switch
From other outlet on black screw on top right of switch
From Main power on black screw on bottom right of switch

Attached Images  

Last edited by KrisKris; 07-13-18 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-15-18, 04:42 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, it’s hard to read that drawing, is the motion sensor part of the light fixture?
Geo

Old 07-15-18, 05:19 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I had the same question, but yes I believe that is what he has. Need to make that drawing bigger. It seems to me that all you need to do is provide current to the light (via the switched portion of the outlet) and by breaking the hot tab on the outlet to make it independent from the switch and providing a hot wire to the outlet to keep it hot at all times.

Old 07-15-18, 06:34 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
I don’t believe he should break the because that is feeding one side of the switch.
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: