Lack of airflow from ceiling fan

Old 07-29-18, 04:52 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lack of airflow from ceiling fan

Installed a ceiling fan in a living room where there is a coffered ceiling. The square of the coffer is 72" wide by 72" wide by 5" deep. The ceiling fan has a 6" drop shaft and the blades are 70" wide. This fan puts out zero airflow. I have double checked the direction it is turning, tried different speeds, made sure blades are on correctly, everything is right... just no airflow. I believe it is the coffered ceiling limiting airflow to the back of the blades... basically a fan in a box with no way for air to flow in. I included a pic, the fan looks small in the pic, but my measurements are accurate.

The room has 8' ceilings so I hate to put in a longer drop shaft. I guess I could get some shorter fan blades, maybe get the fan down to 55" wide or something like that, but I'm not sure that will fix the problem.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions or ideas on what is going on and how to fix it? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jason

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-18, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,181 Votes on 1,094 Posts
At 8' you don't feel any air at all ?
I'd imagine there'd be more airflow in the reverse direction.

Old 07-29-18, 05:08 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Reverse direction does create air flow upward, but in the summer I would like to create air flow downward... no luck with air flow downward.

Old 07-29-18, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,181 Votes on 1,094 Posts
Yes..... I know you want to create a down draft in the summer. If you aren't getting any air movement in the reverse direction then it is indeed the coffered ceiling causing the air to be trapped. Reducing the size of the blades will probably help. I'm pretty sure lowering it will help but you don't want to go to low with an 8' ceiling.