dimmable or non-dimmable ceiling lights?

Old 10-14-18, 09:36 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
dimmable or non-dimmable ceiling lights?

I am thinking put ceiling lights on my old rooms (living, study, kitchen). I am planning to install 12W LED recessed lights for this purpose.

Few questions for you experts here:

1. if you were I, go dimmable or not?

2. if I buy dimmable lights, I need to install the dimmer switch. Is this the only difference? how to wire the circuit is the same for both cases?

3. there are several different type/style of dimmer switches, any recommendation?

4. my ceiling height is 8'. I am going to use 12W lights. how far away between each lights? 4 feet?

5. how to cut holes on the old plaster ceiling with metal mesh?

thanks,

Last edited by diy007; 10-14-18 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-14-18, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
5. how to cut holes on the old plaster ceiling with metal mesh?
How many cans are you putting it..... it can be easier to replace the ceiling than cut it.

There is no quick and easy way to cut the holes. Draw the circle. You have to score the paint along the circle with a sharp knife to keep the plaster from chipping outside the hole. Then use a chisel or thin screwdriver to go around the scored hole and chip out the first plaster level inside the scored line. Then you can chisel out the plaster down to the mesh. Cut the mesh with wire cutters.

One problem with installing anything recessed in this type of ceiling is locating joists and other things behind the metal lath.

Old 10-14-18, 05:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
1. if you were I, go dimmable or not?
Most LED can light, lamps, or other recessed lights are dimmable, and it is always nice to have the option if you even want to dim them. I would go dimmable.

2. if I buy dimmable lights, I need to install the dimmer switch. Is this the only difference? how to wire the circuit is the same for both cases?
You are not required to install a dimmer. A standard switch will work just fine. If you want to install a dimmer and dimmer that is designed to dim LED's should work. The wiring is the same no mater which dimmer you choose unless you get crazy and pick a light that uses 0-10v dimming. That requires 2 extra wires. Any new wiring will also require you to have a neutral in each switch box. (Some special switches require neutrals)

3. there are several different type/style of dimmer switches, any recommendation?
Again, what ever you like. Just make sure they are designed to dim LED lights.

4. my ceiling height is 8'. I am going to use 12W lights. how far away between each lights? 4 feet?
4' is a good starting off point but it will all depend on any framing, duct work, and plumbing that might be in your way. It will also depend on the lumans of the lights you pick.

Old 10-15-18, 12:48 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I always put a light fixture on a ceiling with a dimmer. Then I buy the highest lumen bulb I can find. I will normally keep the lights set at a comfortably dimmed level. But then there are times when I want to use the max wattage to see what I'm doing such as working on projects or cleaning the house.

I use LED dimmable bulbs and get the appropriate rated LED compatible dimmer. I just did this in my bathroom not too long ago with the overhead ceiling light fixture a well as the wall mounted sconces on either side of the new medicine cabinet that I installed. I only put the lights on full blast when I need to see well to shave or whatever other grooming I do in the bathroom.

The wiring is the same. Your new lights should come with instructions also. Just follow them to do our job right.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: