Electronic dimming ballast

Old 10-20-18, 09:39 AM
Received 57 Votes on 48 Posts
Electronic dimming ballast

I am troubleshooting a BlueMax full spectrum light fixture. The lamp will not light and before I spend mega-$$$ on a replacement bulb I need to know that the ballast is not at fault. With 120 volt power connected I read voltages on the ON/OFF and DIM contacts but no voltage on the WHITE (lamp) contacts. What voltage level should I expect to see there? AC or DC?

I have searched online for a replacement ballast, but have not found any with this plug or input configuration.

Any help will be appreciated.

Name:  b1.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  30.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-06-19 at 11:28 AM. Reason: resized picture
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-18, 02:54 PM
Received 25 Votes on 25 Posts
Exclamation

I found This video about the ballast the output should be AC but is high voltage >600V the ballast is probably what failed and not the lamp you can buy a cheap 42W CFL ballast but you will lose the dimming feature which you may or may not want.

On the other hand you can buy the more expensive Dimming CFL ballast

Either way (Unless you can find the exact replacement ballast) you will have some re-wiring to do
You will need to cut the plug ends off of those wires and then follow the wiring diagram on the new ballast (Red/Blue are the lamp leads, Black, White, and Green are from the power cord)

You can also buy another lamp which would be a good choice if you want the dimming as the dimming ballasts are almost the cost of a new lamp

Old 10-20-18, 03:18 PM
Received 57 Votes on 48 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

It is interesting that they publish a video about how to change the ballast but there is no information on their site about replacement ballasts. I will call them next week to see if they are available at a reasonable price.

I saw the ballasts at 1000Bulbs but did not consider eliminating the dimming feature. For cost savings I may do that. I may have to replace the switch and modify that wiring too since the ON/OFF and DIM controls are low voltage.

Since the cost of a new dimming ballast is more than the cost of a new fixture, it seems counterproductive to go that route.

Last edited by 2john02458; 10-20-18 at 03:21 PM. Reason: added info