Switch wiring: hot and cold issues

Old 10-26-18, 05:13 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Switch wiring: hot and cold issues

I know basic electricity, enough to wire and install ceiling fans, wall sockets and light switches. I replaced a light switch today and I can't figure out how to wire it back together. There are two switches side by side, one switch powered the light above the bathtub and the other powered above the vanity and the ceiling fan. There is one hot wire in the wall and 3 other wires, two lead to the two vanity and tub and one leads to the adjoining room. They wired it like a-holes,a as far as I can tell. I had wired everything as they had it before and.. nothing. I need advice please.

Name:  IMG_0209.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  68.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-26-18 at 06:31 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Old 10-26-18, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

OK..... you have four cables. We can see all neutrals tied together. That's good.
You need to ID the hot wire and the wire that goes to the other room. Connect those two together. Get two short pieces of the same gauge wire and add them to that splice. There will be four wires in one wirenut. Those two short pieces you added will each go to one screw on each switch. The two remaining wires will each go to a switch based on which order you want.

Old 10-27-18, 06:11 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes! That's along the lines of what I was thinking laying in bed last night. Thank you for the clear instructions and help, I appreciate this. My sister's will be happy as well haha.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: