Need help with lamp switch terminology


Old 11-29-18, 12:19 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 176
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Need help with lamp switch terminology

We have an old table lamp where the switch has gone bad. The problem is I'm not sure what to look for when hunting for a replacement switch. It sort works like a three-way switch.

It has a decorative night light bulb at the base of the lamp and a regular bulb at the top of the lamp. When you turn the switch knob, one click only the bottom light comes on, two clicks only the top light comes on, and third clicks both the top and bottom lights come on. Three-way switches work with one three-way bulb. What do I need to have for one switch to work with two bulbs?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-18, 01:02 PM
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 663
Received 25 Votes on 25 Posts
I don't know what color or finish you want but here is what you need. I think the proper terminology is a two-circuit 3 terminal socket AKA night-light socket

If the socket shell is in good shape you can use just the guts of that socket and use the existing covering EX: just replace what the actual bulb (lamp) screws into.
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-18, 09:10 PM
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: welland ontario
Posts: 7,622
Received 271 Votes on 234 Posts
What you want is a 3 way rotary lamp switch.
It is 4 positions
L1 + L2

Name:  41gdJTbiI5L.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  30.1 KB
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: