Projection light odd behavior.

Old 11-29-18, 06:20 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Projection light odd behavior.

So I have a Lutron WiFi switch (Lutron Caseta Wireless Dimmer PD-6WCL with Smart Bridge L-BDG2) to control two flood lights on the front yard. I removed one bulb and inserted a plug adapter to power a projection light (Intertek LED laser Projection lights Christmas Snowflurry blue_white and multi color).

With the light switch on at full the projection light just pulses about every second. Only by putting the Lutron switch at mid level does the projection light operate correctly.

Although I solved the problem, I'm asking why the projection light won't operate with the dimmer switch at full level. Yet if plugged into an outlet without any dimmer it operates fine. Both sources provide full voltage power ( I think). Last year I used the same set up but did not have the Lutron switch involved and it worked fine from the light switch.

PS...If the dimmer is at lowest level then the projection light will stay on but not rotate the different colors or pattern.

Old 11-29-18, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
That's only a two wire dimmer so it relies on the load of the bulbs to power it. It claims it needs 25 watts but most work reliably around 40 watts. How many watts does that projector use ?

It could also be because the power supply in the projector does not like to be switched (dimmed). Although the switching supply works like the ones in LED bulbs...... it may not be dimmable and will react to different voltages.

Putting a small incandescent lamp in the circuit would stabilize it.

Old 11-29-18, 07:15 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Putting a small incandescent lamp in the circuit would stabilize it.
I've done this before. But not practical in this situation.

Technical Specifications
Light sourcing:
Fuse PC
1 watt LEDs * 4
2pcsStoke lpnRating I2OVAC 60Hz 0.076A 6.3W

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: