Replacing/upgrading CFL Can lights

Old 12-08-18, 03:27 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing/upgrading CFL Can lights

I'd like to replace my existing G24q-3 canister lights with regular screw-in type fixtures for LED bulbs, and have it dimmable.
I did see that I can buy individual adapters (which also apparently requires bypassing the ballast). Is this a viable option for 6 canister lights? Would it work with a dimmer? I've measured and it appears that it will physically fit in the space.

I was quoted an unbelievable $200 per light by the electrician to do a full conversion. This seems excessive. Is it permitted work or something?

Attached Images  

Last edited by dbtothavolts; 12-08-18 at 04:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-19, 03:17 AM
D
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
This is not hard but will be a pain in the hands before your done converting. Best suited for small hands and arms.
TURN OFF THE POWER
You will need a decent flashlight to put in the ceiling to see what your doing. Which is not an easy task with your hand in the way.
Remove the bulb, then the reflector, there will probably be a piece of metal flex that goes to the junction box on the fixture to the top of the reflector. There is a roughly square cover that is held in place by a spring or screw, remove it. Separate the wiring find and remove the ballast from the circuit. At this point you are ready to connect the new luminare. You now have 120 volts available to the new light.

The $200 a light is because he did not want to do the job, neither would I. I have big hands.