Securing conduit in a metal container building

Old 12-08-18, 11:21 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Securing conduit in a metal container building

A new "container addition" to my house consists of two 20' units side by side. In several places I need to run romex from the (finished) ceiling down one of the bare interior corten steel walls to a surface mounted receptacle. This wall is to remain simply painted metal. But I want to put a

Would the easiest thing be to just put a wooden stud from floor to ceiling at that position and staple the romex down the stud, or even put the romex inside some conduit secured to the stud? I don't have a choice about using the romex that's in place. Obviously the studs would not be for structural support (it already passes TPI) but simply to hold the wires and receptacles.

I think the alternative would be to secure the conduit directly to the steel walls, which seems like more trouble than it's worth. If the stud seems like a good solution, are there rules about securing IT to the wall? Could I use adhesive? I can toenail it to the plywood sub-floor but the top plate is steel. I could toenail into it as well but it would be a bit of a chore. Does code address securing the stud used to hold a wire if it's not structural?

Thanks.

Peaks Island

Old 12-09-18, 04:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Once you mention using shipping containers "code" is left in the rear view mirror. Nothing from foundation/footer, structure or insulation are complying with code. I would get a stud welder and attach threaded studs to the walls for attaching things. Or use self drilling and tapping screws. If you get high quality screws the self drilling tip will work but lesser quality screws will require you to pilot drill for them.

Old 12-09-18, 09:43 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the response. My state's rules on TPI (third-party inspections) are very much within an extended code for these structures here in Maine, including foundation, structure, AND insulation.

That said, there is still the issue of the studs. I'm not sure what a stud welder is. Am I screwing the studs into the steel? Through the 4" (actually 3-1/2") or do you mean put them flat and drill through the 2" (actually 1-1/2") side? Is there no way to do this without piercing the metal wall of the container? These are "interior" walls (two containers side by side). The entire project is well insulated and doing well (it's gotten down to about 10 degrees F so far this winter) but I hate to open holes unless absolutely necessary. You didn't comment on my suggestion about toe nailing.

Thanks again.

Peaks

Old 12-09-18, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
A stud welder is like an arc welder. The ground wire from the welder gets connected to the frame. The stud that gets welded on goes into an assembly that holds it connected to the welder's electrode line. You hold the stud to the metal wall and the arc welds it to the wall. This is the ideal fastening method for what you are doing but may be too costly for only a few fasteners.

I see stud welders for auto repair but don't think they are HD enough for your container.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: