Problems changing light switch for motion sensor switch

Old 12-10-18, 06:56 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Problems changing light switch for motion sensor switch

Hey All,

So moved into a new house, built in the 60's and having a load of fun (NOT) with figuring out the electrics.

Have 4 way switching for the garage lights (so three switches) and tried to replace one with a motion sensor switch but not getting any success. LED on the motion switch flashes twice eventually when I flip the breaker back on but then doesn't do anything. At all. If it makes any difference, I'm trying to connect in what looks to be the last switch in the line.

I'm fairly new to electrical wiring in the US (originally from the UK) but really thing the wiring is all wrong for these switches. The black hot wires are joined together in each box and the switches are controlling the neutrals (white) and runners (red). Thing is the switches work as they are. Connecting the motion switch and it'll turn the lights on, flash the LED and then turn the lights off but NO switch will bring them back on again.

Anyone got any ideas? I've run a ground wire as the instructions said there has to be a ground.

Thanks!

Old 12-10-18, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The black hot wires are joined together in each box and the switches are controlling the neutrals (white) and runners (red).
Almost but not quite. That is a switch loop or dead ended three way switch in a four way system.

To explain...... hot is sent from the first three way switch location...... it passes thru the four way switch location and connects to the common at the end three way switch. The white and red wires are both travelers. There is NO neutral in your four way switch box or at the dead end end three way switch box. You will have always live and neutral at the first three way switch.

In this diagram..... the first switch is where you'll find power and neutral. The four way and the right three way switch only contain hot and switched hot wires.

Name:  4_WAY.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  29.3 KB

Old 12-10-18, 08:04 PM
K
OK. Think I understand what you're saying here. I'm trying to figure out which is the first switch in the loop and which is the last.

Here's what I have. At what I think is the first switch, I have one black (hot) coming into the switch and one connected to two white wires. (Should point out that the one hot coming into this box is supplying two switches for some reason.). Then I have a white wire and a red wire connected to the switch.
At the four way, two black wires connected together, two white wires connected to the switch and two red connected to the switch.
At what I think is the final switch; one black and one white wire connected together from different cables. One black coming into switch, one red coming into switch and one white coming into switch. So essentially this switch is connecting the two cables.

Can't for the life of me figure out how I'm supposed to wire in this motion sensor though!

Old 12-10-18, 08:56 PM
K
OK will try and post photos tomorrow. Am not going back out into the garage right now to take them! Even thought about taking photos earlier on as well but was losing light and patience...!

Old 12-10-18, 08:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Pictures are always helpful....... How-to-insert-pictures
The model number of the sensor switch would be handy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: