Foam crown molding for LED strip lights

Old 01-08-19, 06:02 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Foam crown molding for LED strip lights

We are finishing a basement room for music/entertainment. The ceiling is low (7 ft 10 inches unfinished) and we want to avoid can lights to avoid putting holes in the drywall ceiling - holes which would transmit sound to the upper floor. Track lighting is an option for us, but it could be challenging with placement since the ceiling will be low. We are considering the idea of uplighting with foam crown molding and LED strip lights. Foam for our budget needs.

If we go with the LED crown molding, this would be our primary light source. We have some questions as to the feasibility of our idea.

1. Is a foam crown molding such as these sufficient to spread the light enough to work as a primary source? 3-1/2" Crown molding: Foam Crown Molding I've noticed that there are other more expensive choices that extend further from the wall. https://www.invitinghome.com/molding...g-lighting.htm

2. What is the minimum distance from the ceiling for placement but still with good light spread? (Thinking of our low ceiling)

3. The room is 31 X 15 ft and there will be a soffit nearly bisecting the room across the short length. If we went with the crown LED, should we have the lights on all 4 sides of each half, or just 3 sides of each half (the perimeter of the room at large.)

Thanks much!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-19, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 217 Votes on 192 Posts
LED strip lighting are good for accent lighting, but don't expect that it will be your main lighting source. You will also have to figure someplace to install a driver (or a bunch of them) to provide the 12 VDC required to the strip lights. Be sure to check the wattage per foot of the strip lights to get the proper sized driver. I would also recommend getting high density LED strips.

If you want to add some other lights I recommend looking at LED disk lights like this: https://www.amazon.com/Lithonia-Ligh.../dp/B01ND1L263 You could add insulation over the hole you cut to reduce sound transmission.

Old 01-08-19, 06:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,167 Votes on 1,082 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Crown molding gets installed fairly close to the ceiling. I have installed LED strips over cove molding but never with the intention of using them as a primary light source. Usually it's just for ambient lighting. It would probably work ok but some floor lamps might be needed too. It's hard to give a solid answer because even the type of strips makes a difference.

Old 01-08-19, 08:05 PM
B
Thanks for the replies! I very much appreciate the guidance. Your information has certainly helped make that decision clearer. We will look for an alternative. I saw the think LEDs at my local big-box store and was intrigued with that possibility. Concerning the sound issue, could sound acoustical putty be applied to the back side of the Lithonia light in your link? https://www.soundproofingcompany.com...ht-putty-pads/

Old 01-08-19, 09:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,167 Votes on 1,082 Posts
LED's create heat during their operation that must be wicked away from the LED engine thru a heatsink. Typically the back of a fixture is used as a heatsink. There should be no problem using insulation above the fixtures but I wouldn't recommend sticking anything directly to the back of the fixture.

Old 01-09-19, 01:08 AM
Received 392 Votes on 366 Posts
For noise control your going to need a lot more noise absorption material, or building components, that spot application around the light fixtures.

Do some googling at what is available, because the options are wide ranging then questions can be answered!

Old 01-09-19, 05:09 AM
B
Thanks again for the replies! Okay, we'll nix the putty on the back.

Yes, for sound reduction, we have giving it a lot of thought. We plan to decouple the walls from the foundation and are looking at several ceiling options: https://www.soundproofingcompany.com...oof-a-ceiling/ These options all include a double layer of drywall. It doesn't look like the Lithonia LED fixture would fit in a double layer of drywall.