How to remove a 4-way switch to convert it into a 3-way

Old 01-15-19, 10:27 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to remove a 4-way switch to convert it into a 3-way

I have a 4 way switch center switch being a four way the other 2 switches being three ways I want to eliminate the center switch wcompletely *4way* but able to still use the other two switches as a 3-way switch.... the four way switch has two blacks and Two Reds the reason I'm doing this is because I'm trying to place a smart switch into one of the 3-way switches and it won't work with the center 4 way switch .... I replace some other 3-way switches with the smart switches and they were perfectly fine unless there is a way to use the smart switch with the 4-way configuration I already tried replacing one of the 3-way switches in the four-way configuration but it wouldn't work

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-19, 11:03 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Basically you bypass it. In your case connect black to black and red to red. Install a blank cover plate.

Old 01-15-19, 01:06 PM
J
Received 251 Votes on 221 Posts
Connect black to black and red to red and put a blank cover on it. The whites should already be connected if the blacks and reds were on the switch.

Old 01-16-19, 06:01 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I don't see the issue with the 4-way being a problem. Hard wiring around that switch is exactly the same as leaving the switch in one position. What am I missing?

Bud