Install new fan on old radiant heat ceiling

Old 03-18-19, 11:06 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Install new fan on old radiant heat ceiling

Iím wanting to install a fan in my living room. However itís a radiant heat ceiling that still works. Itís too expensive to install a forced air system so I need to keep the radiant heat ceiling for now. Anyway I just scraped off the popcorn ceiling texture and it luckily has nail lines from the manufacture of the heat panels so that I have a good idea of where the wires for the radiant heat run. It still doesnít give me much to work with so I wanted to see what some of you have done or would suggest to do. I really need the fan to help circulate heat from the fireplace, but need to keep the radiant heat ceiling for backup.
Anyone have ideas or suggestions? Is there a fan box that mounts on the living side of the sheetrock, and a fan anyone knows of that would cover such a box?

Old 03-18-19, 11:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,338 Upvotes on 2,997 Posts
For surface mounting you would use a fan rated pancake box. It would need to be fastened directly into a joist. A saddle box also mounts to a joist and takes up little space. Then you would use a ceiling hugger or surface mount fan.

Name:  fb.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  31.1 KB

Ceiling fan example

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: