Adding remote 3 way switch with existing light switch

Old 04-04-19, 08:06 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Adding remote 3 way switch with existing light switch

I just moved into an apartment and the layout/flow of the place is:

Entry door>Living room>dining room>kitchen>bedroom.

The kitchen has a light switch on the wall shared with the dining room, but not switch on the wall shared with the bedroom . This is annoying and I'd like to add a switch to the wall shared with the bedroom.

What I want to do is keep the existing hardwired switch and add a remote module inside to be controlled by the wireless switch: can this be done? That way I have 3 way switching.

I imagine a crucial factor is whether the romex in the wall to the existing switch is 14/3.

If this can be achieved, any recommendations on what switch to get?

Old 04-04-19, 09:38 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
There are wireless three way option that do not require any cables to the new switch location.

Old 04-06-19, 09:55 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Yes, I know that but can you wire the new remote switch to work with an existing hardwired switch?

Old 04-07-19, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Lutron makes several wireless type devices in the Maestro and the Caseta line. What you do is to replace the existing switch with a Lutron device and then link a Pico wireless switch to it. The Pico controller can be bought with a wall plate so it looks like a regular wired switch.

The link is a wireless switch. You can also use a wireless dimmer. If you scroll down the page they give you the option of purchasing this device, the Pico remote and the wall plate kit.
Lutron wireless remote

Video of linking the devices.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: