help to id kitchen exhaust fan motor

Old 04-04-19, 11:24 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
help to id kitchen exhaust fan motor

i have a kitchen exhaust fan which stopped working. electrical is fine, but the motor will not operate. tested dead on my work bench(bearings are fine). if the case were easily openable, i'd probably see if i could fix the motor--but seems to be crimped closed--no visible nuts, screws, etc. i believe i can easily replace the fan motor--but there are NO identifying markings on the motor. it's a 3.3" motor with ~6 1/2" fan blades. the wall control is emerson(maybe emerson/pryne, but all that's visible is emerson) 3 step "rheostat." how do i decide what motor to get? swapping it for the dead unit no problem if i can find the right motor. if there were markings on the motor, this would probably be a piece of cake.

if i find the right motor configuration(shaft length, mounting bolts location and size, etc), how do i decide on hp? 6" vent to roof jack, ~5-6' high. maybe i'm not asking all the right questions. if not, here's my bottom line. can you help me choose a replacement motor. mounting bracket is fine, and amazingly the (50-60 yr old) rubber gasket seems in great shape.

i have attached a foto of fan and bracket if this helps(i cut the old funky plug off to try a new one)

Attached Images  
Old 04-05-19, 02:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
If you find an AC motor of those same dimensions you are not going to have many choices in horsepower so I don't think it will be an issue.

Old 04-05-19, 11:26 AM
B
need some more piloting

thanks, but i'm afraid i have actually found MANY different motors, ranging in hp from 1/125hp to 1/15hp--a pretty wide range to my inexperienced eye. on my terrible screen pic, you'll see a list of many available 3.3" motors, some 3000rpm, some 1550rpm, a couple are not 115v, but most are. i've seen several/many other listings for fans similarly configured. i figure i want 1550rpm, and will make sure that the mounting post locations and fan spindle size match my dead fan, but i'm still stuck on the hp, or anything else my diy brain hasn't grasped.

Attached Images  
Old 04-05-19, 11:48 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You also need the right rotation looking at the shaft.

Old 04-05-19, 12:39 PM
B
yeah, some are cw, some ccw

Old 04-05-19, 01:01 PM
G
Mine is 1/100 hp, fan pointed outside with ccwse,1550 rpm a Fasco motor. I remember bringing the original one to the motor shop years ago and they gave me the wrong rotation. So then I got two of the right ones. Looking at a new in box I dug out.

Old 04-05-19, 01:36 PM
B
motor shop? my first thought, based on experience from years past. but i find the motor shops seem to have gone the way of so many small shops any more. mom and pop have gone the way of all flesh, and junior now sells internet services for att. lol?

my fan seems to want a ccw motor--i've seen several fasco motors that seem to fit the bill. my best guess so far is that i actually want a 1/50(.02)hp. what's the diameter of your fan blades? i want enuf oomph from the fan to push the best cfm, but it's likely that more hp = more noise

Old 04-05-19, 01:58 PM
G
Mine is a Emerson/Pryne(sp?) Looks to be 7" across w/o pulling it. Has 7 blades. As far as I know that shop might still be open but wont mess with getting small motors in anymore. They rebuild very large motors windings etc. Had some of the best calenders but it's been maybe 15 yrs. since I been there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: