How re-wire 13W CFL lamp

Old 04-09-19, 12:52 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How re-wire 13W CFL lamp

Aloha! I need to rewire a 15-year-old 13W CFL GX23 lamp that plugs directly into a wall outlet. I have replaced the blub and the lamp-holder. The only other part remaining is a rather hefty wall plug, which I am guessing contains a ballast and the plug terminals. There are no markings at all on the plug-in unit. Both prongs are loose. This light came with a small aquarium which is no longer manufactured. Can I just cut off the wall-plug unit and wire the lamp holder to a 13W CFL GX23 ballast and a conventional 120V wall plug? Or, are there are parts that might be required to make it work? Thanks.

Attached Images  

Last edited by islandguy; 04-09-19 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Attach photo
Old 04-09-19, 02:43 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I'd be converting to LED. Their small size makes them easy to retrofit into an existing hood or fixture.

Old 04-09-19, 03:18 PM
I
I already bought (and returned) 2 different LED lights which, unfortunately, are not bright enough to illuminate the tank. Also, the CFL is 7.5-inches and the maximum length for a light for this aquarium is 10 inches. Does anyone know the answer to my question about rewiring the CFL that is built into the aquarium hood?

Old 04-16-19, 08:46 PM
I'm going to second the LED suggestion, if you didn't find LED bright enough then something went way wrong with the install.

But to actually answer your question, yes you _could_ snip the plug off and wire the lampholder to a ballast and the ballast to a standard 120V plug.
I would try pulling the cover off the plug and see if you could possibly tighten/replace the prongs. Would be easier than trying to re-kajigger the whole setup.

Old 04-17-19, 03:51 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Please share why you need to rewire as I don;t see any problem discussed.

Old 04-17-19, 05:02 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I think the problem is he needs a wall wort fluorescent light ballast. Something that's not commonly sold on it's own. It's the sort of thing you buy a whole new light.

As for the LED's they come in all different power levels. I just made a fixture using 3 watt emitters that is far brighter than any CFL. The same emitters were available in 5 watts but I was worried about keeping them cool. But, if you search on the internet you can find LED's to suit almost any application. And, all the components you need are readily available unlike fluorescent which is not supported much anymore.

Old 04-25-19, 06:52 AM
A
Received 277 Upvotes on 253 Posts
Check the lumens rating of the LED units you are thinking of using to replace the CFL fluorescent lights. If I remember correctly, that 13 watt CFL outputs around 600 lumens.

There are lots of walkway and undercounter and closet and headband LEDs that don't list a lumens rating and that are very feeble.

Also, some LED units are highly directional and will not illuminate the inside of the aquarium evenly from the usual 4 inches or so above the water surface..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: