Wiring ceiling fan. Help! Which wire?

Old 04-18-19, 12:49 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring ceiling fan. Help! Which wire?

Im hanging a new Hunter ceiling fan. It has a remote, of course. So the receiving unit must be wired in between the ceiling and the fan.

Out of the ceiling I have a Black White and Red wire. There is only one wall switch and it has two toggles, one for light and one for fan.

The manual indicates:
The White wire from the ceiling connects to the white wire on the receiver marked "Neutral In"
The Black wire from the ceiling connects to the black wire on the receiver marked "Live In"

I Then followed instructions to connect the wires from the fan to the receiver.

I did everything and checked my work, everything looks great except I have an extra Red wire from the ceiling attached to nothing and its energized. So where do you suppose I put that wire?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-19, 01:01 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 588 Posts
Previously your black wire provided power (hot) the fan or light and the red provided power (hot) to the other. You just cap off your red wire with a wire nut and it is not used. One of your wall switches will now do nothing. Your other wall switch will have to be in the on position for anything on the fan to operate.

Fans with a remote control can not be controlled by two wall switches. They are designed to be provided an always on/hot source of power. There is no way to wire them to use both existing wall switches.

Old 04-18-19, 03:09 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, exactly correct. I do this every five years and as such am always relearning. Thanks for the quick helpful reply.