Is my ceiling junction box really fan-rated?

Old 04-21-19, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is my ceiling junction box really fan-rated?

Aloha! Question for your awesome and helpful forum that I just found after endless google searches... We bought two Hunter Dempsey flush-mount fans, opened our concrete ceiling pre-installed junction boxes (1982 building) and found a variety of strange things. A friend that tried to help us install these said the boxes are not fan-rated and that we will need to drill into the concrete ceiling. We really wanted to avoid this. But of course, will if we really have to. We just wanted to make sure we check all the boxes and do our due-diligence research before using a hammer drill on our condo's ceiling!

The junction box has two ears that are threaded and is at least 2mm thick with a couple rounds of threads and in the middle of the box on the upper central portion it has a threaded rod sticking up. It also has an orange, white and black wire. The second box (bedroom) only has one white and one black. The threaded ears will fit 8-32 bolts, but we have not tried a 10-24 which I read would tell us if this may or may not be fan-rated.

Can you guys tell from this picture? Thanks so so much!! I also attached a picture of the fan ceiling mounting plate and bolt that fit into the ears. Thanks, Christin

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-19, 10:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,176 Votes on 1,090 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry. That is not a fan rated box. The ears are not large enough for a larger screw.
If you have a ceiling hugger fan..... you can bolt directly into the concrete.

Old 04-21-19, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you, Pete, for the quick reply! Would the ceiling mounting plate's holes be too close to the edge of that junction box and make the concrete holes for the anchors possibly unstable? The junction box is 4in in diameter, and the furthest apart holes in the ceiling mounting plate are less than 5in apart. Not sure if ceiling hugging means flush-mount? Thanks!!

Name:  f1.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  28.8 KB

Name:  f2.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  69.6 KB

Name:  f3.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  38.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 04-22-19 at 07:31 PM. Reason: cropped/resized/labeled pictures
Old 04-22-19, 07:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,176 Votes on 1,090 Posts
Drill out and use the holes I circled. You may need to add a few washers between the plate and the ceiling to keep the plate from bending.

I circled the outer two holes. You may need to use the inner two holes depending on how big the fastener head is.