Ceiling fan

Old 05-04-19, 09:39 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan

I actually done a lot of electrical back in late 80s early 90s but evidently I've forgotten a lot. Okay friend of mine ask me to hang a ceiling fan in pace of a light fixture in his bedroom. He'd already taken the old light down to put a metal box in for support. This house was wired in the 70s so the power is in the light fixture and its the last light on the circuit and both wires (the power and the switch) are 12/2.Okay so in the ceiling I've got my power source and my switch wire and that's all so I took the white wire from my switch and put it with the black wire from my power leaving 1 black wire and 1 white wire in the ceiling box. I put my grounds together green from ceiling bare from the wire then I put the 2 whites 1 from ceiling fan one from box together then I put the blue &black wires from the ceiling fan with the black wire in the box but when I went to use the switch nothing either way. So I took it apart and wired the ceiling fan directly to the power and bypassed the switch just to make sure it wasn't the fan itself and the fan and light both worked fine with the chain so I tried again and never could get the switch to operate it. It was like there was no power whatsoever to it but I took a test light and they was power at the box in the ceiling but never could get the switch to work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It acts as if the switch is bad but in the years I did work in the field I'd never seen a switch go bad. I'll check the switch tomorrow but if it isn't the switch which I don't think it is has anyone got any other suggestions. Thanks for replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-19, 10:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,185 Votes on 1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You have a switch loop there and it sounds like you wired it correctly. The only addition you could make is tape the white wire that goes to the switch a different color like red, blue or black. This way it's not confused as a neutral.

That just leaves a defective switch. Yes.... they do go bad.

Old 05-05-19, 06:50 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Got it

Thanks for the reply. I finally got of the homeowner that had taken the old light said there was no boxes in the attic so after I put a new switch in it still wouldn't work so I went and got me a ohm meter and ran a continuity test and found that there was a break somewhere. So after I finally for my big A$$ through that little crawl space I found a junction that when they removed the old light they had pulled the wire out and it was just laying there so I put the wire nut back on and shazam it worked like a mint. Now why that had a junction box with that I don't know and told him it wouldn't be a bad ideal to redo it but find somebody else. Again thanks for the reply.

Old 05-06-19, 02:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,185 Votes on 1,097 Posts
It's always us "big" guys going into the attic. Glad you found the problem.

Old 05-07-19, 11:10 AM
Received 92 Votes on 82 Posts
they had pulled the wire out and it was just laying there so I put the wire nut back on and shazam it worked like a mint. Now why that had a junction box with that I don't know and told him it wouldn't be a bad ideal to redo it but find somebody else.

So, you are saying there was no junction box? Or there was a junction box?