New ceiling fan installation

Old 06-23-19, 05:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New ceiling fan installation

I would like to replace an overhead light, in our dining area, with a 3 speed ceiling fan. I need to replace the ceiling fan box, with a fan approved box, but the wiring is a bit confusing. Right now it is on a dimmer switch, 1 hot wire on termainal(s), and behind that, I can see a neutral, with 3 wires crimped. So my question to you all, if I only have the one hot wire at the switch, how do I control both the fan an the lights from that point? I've seen switches that have a fan contol on 1/2 the switch, and light control on the other 1/2, but that won't control both fan and light, at the fan itself. Yes I can use the pull chains, but would like to use the switch itself, if possilbe.
Thanks

Old 06-23-19, 05:46 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
You might not be able to control the fan and light separate unless you change the cabling or buy a remote control fan.

Old 06-24-19, 07:27 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
You need a second hot wire. If this were nm-b cable, you are wired with 14-2 and 14-3 is required with the red as a second hot to be switched.

Old 06-24-19, 09:58 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, easiest thing would be to remove the dimmer and install a single pole switch in its place, then control the fan/light with a remote control, new switch would remain on constantly.
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: