Question about ballast for kitchen under-cabinet fixture

Old 09-01-19, 09:58 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question about ballast for kitchen under-cabinet fixture

Hello! New member here. I don't know much about ballasts, but I think I need to replace a failed one. From looking at other posts here, I see there are some pretty ballast-aware folks who can hopefully help me.

Summary: Can a ballast that has "Linear Lamp: 1 * F18T8" on its label be used instead of the current (dead) ballast that has "Linear Lamp: 1 * F15T8" on its label?

Background: I have an under-cabinet fixture that uses a single F15T8 18" 15 watt bulb. The fixture no longer works. Bulb works in another fixture; the switch on the fixture works; power is fine. I'm left with the conclusion that the ballast has gone belly-up. I found an exact replacement (Ballast Wise DXE115M8) at ballastwise.com, but it's out of stock (and out of stock everywhere else). The DXE118M8 is in stock, and it appears to be a drop-in replacement, physically. Question is, can this "F18T8" labelled ballast be used with F15T8 18" bulbs?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-01-19, 10:37 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Honestly you should convert the light to LED or even replace since the cost is so low.

I don't even bother with florescent any more, they are so low tech!

Old 09-01-19, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Typically, ballasts will run quite a few different size lamps. You have to look at the ballast label to determine what sizes they will run. Here is an example: https://www.bulbsdepot.com/kteb-2c72-1-tp.html that will run 15, 17, 25 and 32 watt lamps. You can also run one lamp even though the ballast will also run two. Just cap off any unused leads. (Info found on the datasheet pdf)

I do agree with Marq. Removing the ballast and installing a LED direct wire lamp might be the better option

Old 09-02-19, 10:55 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Marq and Tolyn for the suggestion to convert to LED and bypass the ballast altogether. That seems to be the most effective solution. My fixture already has non-shunted lampholders (they do look like tombstones, don't they?). So from what I understand, I'd wire one of the lampholders to live and neutral, and leave the other end's lampholder unconnected to anything. Then look for a direct-wire, single ended T8 LED tube. Question: does it matter which contact pin in the lampholder gets the live and which one gets the neutral? I wouldn't think so, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks again for your suggestion!

Old 09-02-19, 11:31 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Question: does it matter which contact pin in the lampholder gets the live and which one gets the neutral? I wouldn't think so, but wanted to make sure.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't, I converted over all my garage lights this spring but I will defer to the specific wiring instructions that come with your bulbs.

I sure don't miss those fluorescent bulbs, the light in the garage is amazing and I even have lights in the dead of winter!

Only issue I have found, is that the LED's interfere with my garage stereo and I haven't spent any time to try and resolve!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: