Ceiling chandelier

Old 09-02-19, 07:49 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling chandelier

I am trying to install a new chandelier in my dining room. I removed the old ceiling junction box which was attached to beam. The new chandelier is 100lbs, and comes with a special u bracket that fits over beam to attach directly to beam, but this then sits flush against drywall since the drywall is attached to that beam, so there is no room for a electrical box with a hole for the the threaded pipe to support chandelier. See the recommended installation below.
https://images.restorationhardware.c...10940_info.pdf
I cannot find any information about whether you can have separate junction box within ceiling instead of flush with ceiling or does anyone have any other ideas. This is a 1st floor ceiling, so I do not have access to attic beams.

Old 09-02-19, 08:06 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Does item G (canopy) not cover the junction box even if it sticks proud of the drywall?

Old 09-02-19, 08:48 AM
J
It may. I suppose I could get a round semi pancake box, but, but how would you secure it proud of the drywall?

Old 09-02-19, 09:20 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
The entire setup is odd. I don't know if it is even legal with the wires coming out of the pipe and not being in the box.

Old 09-02-19, 09:36 AM
T
Received 198 Upvotes on 174 Posts
I agree about the "legality" of the installation shown. And I noticed something missing from the instructions: Anything indicating an approval by a NRTL.

Personally, I would go to the supplier and light them up with my questions. Butl then, I like roasting things on a spit.

Old 09-02-19, 10:50 AM
J
I also worry about the large holes for the bolts that are one above the other into my floor support joist.

Old 09-02-19, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
There is NO way you can mount it like they show in the diagram. Your sheetrock is tight to the bottom of the joist. There is no possible way you can get nuts on top of a threaded pipe between the joist and sheetrock. I'm a little leery of a hollow 3/8" tube too.

You'd need quite a hole to get two bolts installed thru the joist.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: