Best option to upgrade garage lighting

Old 09-09-19, 03:23 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Best option to upgrade garage lighting

I like to upgrade my garage lighting. I have currency two simple lamp holder with a 60 or 75W bulb screwed in. This is for a somewhat compact 2 car garage with walls and ceiling finished white.

LED seems to have opened the field for all kinds of creative solutions, including screw-in upgrades.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/STRIKER-...0342/301796567

or this "spin"
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...2143/205790078
(this one doesn't work for me as one of the lamp-holders is close to the garage door hardware.

My thoughts are to get something as flush as possible to the ceiling that spreads out the light (not just down-light).

Another path woudl be to get a linear light which woudl require a plugin version or woudl require wiring.

I am looking for experiences and ideas. Also, wnat to get brighter. Perhaps 100W equivalent.

Old 09-09-19, 04:36 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
LED's are the answer!

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Freeze...ateway&sr=8-15

I converted all my 8' fluorescent shop lamps with 6500K V-shaped bulbs and added some of these cooler bulbs which mount flush to the ceilng and are the same V shape.

The lighting is amazing!

Old 09-09-19, 05:18 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
My equipment garage has a series of lamp holders in the ceiling. Previously they held 100w incandescent bulbs but last year I swapped them out for LED's. They consume less than 1/4 the power and are noticeably brighter. So, if you are looking for a really simple upgrade LED screw in bulbs might be an option. They don't look as nice as the spin on light you linked but they are much less expensive.

My warehouse at work previously had fluorescent lights. I've kept the old fixtures but converted them to use LED bulbs. The long strips of light are good for not creating harsh shadows and do a good job of spreading the light around the room.

Old 09-09-19, 07:24 PM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
My garage at home has two 4' fluorescent light fixtures with standard fluoresent tubes in them. Can I convert those fixtures to LED by simply buying the LED tubes?

Old 09-10-19, 12:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Yes. You can by LED T-8 tubes that will work with any existing ballast. Depot sells them.
A T-8 tube will fit in the smaller sockets or the older T-12 sockets.

Old 09-10-19, 12:06 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Pretty much yes but read the instructions.

They make replacement LED's that either keep or eliminate the ballast (like mine). Honestly I dont see why anyone would convert and keep the ballasts!

Old 09-10-19, 04:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I would buy the bulbs that get direct wired to 120 VAC. This allows you to toss the ballast which is an energy waster and potential point of failure.

Old 09-10-19, 09:33 AM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
It would be a lot easier for me if I can just replace the tubes in the existing fixtures which hang by chains from the ceiling. I suppose you can buy complete fixtures with lights just like the ones I have, but I will have to look. Thanks guys

Old 09-11-19, 05:14 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
I switched from 1 bulb holder to eight 4ft LED fixtures on two circuits (split lights half and half of the garage).
I didn't see anyone else ask, but do you plan to do anything in the garage other than to park cars?
If just looking to park the cars and simple stuff, and I'm assuming the existing bulb holders are in the center of each bay, swap out with some good LED fixtures and you should be good.
If you are looking to use the garage for more (I'm always wrenching on old motorcycles and the better half does a fair bit of wood working), it may be worth adding a few more fixtures in better placement as directly in the center of the bays tend to be a poor location with very little wall bounce.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: