Ceiling fan hanging a bit loose on one side?

Old 11-15-19, 05:34 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan hanging a bit loose on one side?

Hi all. New member here. I'm a new-ish homeowner and so now I'm trying to be more comfortable doing things around the house. Dad could "do it all" it seemed like, but unfortunately I never took the time to learn too much from him. So please excuse my lack of solid knowledge in the terminology department... :P

Anyhow, we have a ceiling fan in one room of the home that is hanging a bit loose on one side. As in one side is flush, and the other is separated from the ceiling. The entire fan assembly / fixture can be pushed up flush on the loose side, quite easily. I only know because I first noticed it dangling this evening and didn't know what was going on. I've left it alone since, and we turned the fan off for now.

I would like to know what I should troubleshoot first. We do have attic access. I wondered if I should pull the fan down / disconnect it and check the mount (bracket?) but I'm unsure at this point. Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-19, 05:59 PM
J
Received 249 Votes on 219 Posts
It sounds like the box might be loose. Take the fan off or loosen the shroud at the ceiling and inspect it. If the box is loose then you need to remove the fan and install a proper fan rated box. It is likely that the box was only rated for a light fixture and some installed a fan. The weight and vibration worked the box loose.

Old 11-15-19, 06:25 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks! I'll take a look at that tomorrow. I'm willing to bet you're right. There is a ring a bit wider than the fan assembly on the ceiling, which looks like it may have indeed been a light fixture. I'll report back what I find, and I'm sure I'll have some questions about installing the proper box.