Metal rod for connecting separate lights

Old 01-04-20, 09:27 AM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metal rod for connecting separate lights

Hi everyone,

I would like to construct something like this pendulum light fixture shown in the attached photo, from 2 individual lamps that I bought. Any ideas where I can find such a metal bar that connects them as shown in the photo?
The only idea I have so far is a U shaped aluminum profile which I can spray paint black...
Any other suggestions would be highly appreciated..

Thanks a lot.

Name:  lx1.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  15.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-04-20 at 10:32 AM. Reason: resized picture
Old 01-04-20, 09:31 AM
J
Received 462 Likes on 382 Posts
Old piece of aluminum frame from an old sliding door?

Old 01-04-20, 09:51 AM
B
Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts
What is the diameter of the tubing/chain you plan on using to support the weight of each light fixture? Does your local building code allow exposed wiring if you use a chain to hang the light fixture? Answers will help in determining size of mounting bar (attached to the ceiling/wall) to use.

Old 01-04-20, 01:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 627 Likes on 536 Posts
Light fixtures are designed to be listed and installed as a complete unit. "Making" your own light fixture using non-listed parts is a code violation and could be a fire hazard.

Old 01-05-20, 06:15 AM
Received 996 Likes on 905 Posts
Ive made many lights and lamps in my time and using good electrical parts and practices and see it no more dangerous than simple home electrical work.

Check out your local retail metal suppliers, I have one where I get all my project material from and he has lots of aluminum extrusions shapes that would work for the main beam!

Old 01-05-20, 02:40 PM
Received 996 Likes on 905 Posts
I had a brain fart on the way home, look into a track lighting system, they can be purchased as individual components and then you just modify the lights using the down hanging wires, would make the entire system very simple!

Old 01-05-20, 02:46 PM
Received 620 Likes on 553 Posts
Light fixtures are designed to be listed and installed as a complete unit. "Making" your own light fixture using non-listed parts is a code violation and could be a fire hazard.
I don't doubt your statement, but I think that only applies to a retail or sellable lamp. Many a high school or Boy Scout projects have been home made lamps. I can down load many lamp and fixture projects that are not "listed". I doubt they are illegal.

Old 01-05-20, 03:55 PM
J
Received 462 Likes on 382 Posts
Might be illegal to SELL, but not to make for yourself.

Old 01-06-20, 05:10 AM
A
Received 109 Likes on 91 Posts
Might not be illegal to make your own or it may not be dangerous (in your mind) but if for any reason a home-made fixture causes a fire your home owners insurance company may deny your claim. No "UL" mark on the unit and was not designed to specifics and approved which would be safe for use.

Try convincing your home owners insurance company how good you are at designing and making your own light fixture. Also if the fixture causes anyone to get hurt you may have a law suit on your hands which you insurance company may not cover.

Old 01-06-20, 06:17 AM
Received 620 Likes on 553 Posts
Might not be illegal to make your own or it may not be dangerous (in your mind) but if for any reason a home-made fixture causes a fire
Any product, be it factory made or home made, "listed" or not, can be deemed "at fault" if an injury or property damage is deemed caused by the item. It's not a matter of being legal or illegal. A home made lamp that overloads a circuit and a fire is caused is not the fault of the lamp. But by the circuit being overloaded be it from a lamp or any other appliance.

Codes and UL, or CSA codes are enforced for the sake on consistency (and obviously safety) and do not mean it's the only way a product can be manufactured, wired, or used. Each country codes can differ widely and still considered safe.

By claiming home made items and hobby type projects are illegal by virtue that they are not listed negates such things as home canning, home carpentry of furniture or remodeling, repair of one's auto, any DIY project, and any and all school shop projects.

It's not the item, but how it made and/or used that can deny an insurance claim. And also intent of use.

AFJES, I think we're on the same page but my point is the term legal and safe.

Last edited by Norm201; 01-06-20 at 06:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 01-06-20, 02:26 PM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the diameter of the tubing/chain you plan on using to support the weight of each light fixture? Does your local building code allow exposed wiring if you use a chain to hang the light fixture? Answers will help in determining size of mounting bar (attached to the ceiling/wall) to use.
Why would the wires be exposed? I was thinking to use something like this:
https://products.alfer.com/en/Produc.../Square-U.html
I would attach this to the ceiling and drill 2 holes to pass the cables of the 2 lamps..
I would need to use something on the back side to make sure that the cables of the lamps dont slide through the holes, not yet sure what...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: