What distance do you hang a light bar over a mirror?

Old 02-12-23, 02:01 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
What distance do you hang a light bar over a mirror?

Mounting a light bar over a new mirror and vanity, they say to mount it 75-80 inches from the floor. If I mount it at 80 inches the glass light globs will be about 3-4 inches below the top mirror frame, I can mount it higher so the light globs will just be even with the top of the mirror frame, do you keep the light just above the mirror or let it hang over the mirror? I was thinking that if I hung the light below the top mirror frame it would shine in your eyes all the time, if I kept it above it would be less glare in your eyes. Is there a correct distance you should mount the light or does it all depend on which way looks better, I'm open for suggestions..

Old 02-12-23, 03:04 PM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
I always mount them where the globe bottom is even with the top of the frame. You get no glare that way. In the end it might depend on the type of light bar and your personal taste. There's nothing wrong with trial and error.

Old 02-12-23, 04:52 PM
M
With the light bar I have there really isn't any trial and error, the bar mounts on the electrical box, there's no moving it up or down. If I was to leave the old electrical box in and mounted the light bar, it would come 3-4 inches lower than the mirror frame as pictured below. That's not my light, I just found that pic online to show how low my globes would look like if I was to mount it to the old electrical box already in the wall, I think the globes may be to low and shine right in your eyes. Looks like the only other option would be to put in a new electric box a little higher to bring the globes just even or a little lower than the mirror frame but not over my mirror itself.

Old 02-13-23, 12:09 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Is there a correct distance you should mount the light or does it all depend on which way looks better
Its a visual preference.

I don't think anybody wants to be standing in front of the mirror, staring at or between the lights to see your reflection!

Old 02-13-23, 07:49 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
I'm not sure if I thought about it when installing them but mine have the bottom of the globe at the top of the mirror.

Old 02-13-23, 08:15 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
That's what all of ours are like!

Old 02-13-23, 10:40 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I would personally position the bottom of the globes about 1/2" above the mirror. Some mirrors are thicker and I wouldn't want the mirror to be touching the glass globes.

Of course, as everyone else pointed out, it's personal preference.

Old 02-14-23, 04:22 PM
M
Thanks for all the ideas, I think I'll keep the globes just even with the top of the mirror frame. In the pics that 2john02458 posted it seems you don't get any glare from the lights in the mirror at all. I guess you can't go by the old rule of thumb of 80 inches from the floor anymore, probably wouldn't be to bad if you had side lights. I still have the option of putting the electrical box higher so that shouldn't be a problem, thanks again for all the help...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: