Adding a light socket to a ceiling fan

Old 04-14-23, 08:56 AM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Adding a light socket to a ceiling fan

I bought a ceiling fan a while back and the single light bulb socket is just not enough for me. I want to buy another socket and add it to the fan. Can I do this? If so, how can I attach it? Is just electrical tape enough or is there some kind of bracket or a better way to do this that I'm not aware of? Here's a picture of the socket I was going to get and the base where I'll mount it:

Old 04-14-23, 12:10 PM
B
Received 306 Upvotes on 271 Posts
If you connect new socket to the wires of the incoming power cable, you should be OK with the new bulb wattage not causing the entire fan/light assembly to draw 12amps fully on. If you connect new socket to any other point (source wires) in the fan assembly, the wire gauge will be smaller and hence the maximum wattage bulb must not cause current in the source wires to exceed their maximum rating which could result in a fire.

Old 04-14-23, 01:18 PM
A
Thanks for your reply. I'm posting the wiring diagrams for the fan and light below. I was going to splice the new light socket to the existing light wiring in the first picture, and then connect it to the fan assembly. The wires on the new socket are 18 gauge, the same as the wires on the existing light in the fan. So you're saying not to do this? Wouldn't it be okay since the wires are the same gauge?

If I connect the socket wiring directly to the wiring in the ceiling, will it work when I use the wall switch to turn it on and off? I'm a little confused about this. Also, is 12 amps the standard amperage for a ceiling fan? The circuit is 15 amps and that seems like a lot.

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-14-23, 01:24 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,217 Upvotes on 1,979 Posts
Before adding a socket, get a higher powered LED bulb. You can use a very powerful LED bulb well within the maximum wattage rating of the fixture.

Your fixture is limited as to the wattage of light it can support. It's not for power consumption. It is because of heat. The wattage limit is how much heat that fixture can safely dissipate. Put too much light wattage in the fixture and you can melt the components above or start a fire.

Your fixture is made as is. There was no consideration for adding another lamp base/socket. So, we can't tell you how to mount another one other than to say you should not. Note the brand and style of your light and see if you can buy another light kit that has more bulb sockets if that's what you want. Ceiling fan lights generally only accommodate one bulb per globe but there are many lighting kits that have three or four bulbs.

Old 04-14-23, 01:53 PM
A
Thanks for your comment! I'm looking at a light kit now that has three bulbs in the same globe. How is this different than just adding on a socket? (Not trying to sound argumentative, I'm asking sincerely) The LED light bulbs I have now are 8.7 watts and do not feel hot to the touch even after being on for several hours. If I have to buy a whole new light kit I will, but I'd just like to know what makes it different than just adding a socket. I will also try a brighter LED bulb like you suggested and see it that helps any. Thanks again for your help!

Old 04-15-23, 09:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 892 Upvotes on 753 Posts
The manufacturer designed the fixture and was UL approved in that configuration. Modifying it would be a violation of the NEC as it was field modified. The other issue you will likely find is there might not be enough room in the fixture to do what you want.

That socket you posted would not work as it is designed for a can fixture. You need a socket that has a bracket to mount the socket to the metal fixture. The easiest way to do this is to buy a cheap ceiling-mounted fixture and use the parts from that. https://www.menards.com/main/lightin...s=15&exp=false

Something like this might work but you would need to add the wires and those wires should be high temp wires: https://www.menards.com/main/lightin...s=21&exp=false

Adriane S voted this post useful.
Old 04-15-23, 09:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,046 Upvotes on 3,630 Posts
LED bulbs won't work properly in most older fans.
The instructions typically for incandescent only.

Old 04-15-23, 09:34 AM
A
@TolynIronhand I really like the idea of using parts from a cheap ceiling mounted fixture. Before reading that, I went out and picked up a socket specifically made for ceiling fans. There is enough room to add it. Could that work? Here's what I got:

Old 04-15-23, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
I can't see the bracket very well, but if there is a hole you can use to fasten the bracket with a screw to the fixture I would suspect that would work.

Old 04-18-23, 03:59 PM
Received 80 Upvotes on 75 Posts
Tolyn Ironhand The bracket is a threaded IPS pipe style mount

Old 04-18-23, 06:32 PM
Group Moderator
If you look at my earlier post there is this link: https://www.menards.com/main/lightin...s=21&exp=false which has a threaded part and a hole that could be used for attaching the bracket with a screw.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: