Mounting a heavy, 20" flush-mount, ceiling fixture

Old 02-16-24, 12:36 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Mounting a heavy, 20" flush-mount, ceiling fixture

I want to purchase a specific, 20" flush-mount ceiling fixture (flush-mount chandelier). Several customer reviews state that the fixture is too heavy to just mount to the ceiling box, and several state that the fixture has fallen (or was hanging) because plastic anchors in drywall ceilings wouldn't hold it. I would never use plastic anchors in a ceiling, but I don't understand how the ceiling box alone can't support the fixture that weighs 24.1 pounds. My ceiling box has held several heavy ceiling fans over the years. I'm wondering if the problem is with the fixture itself. Is the base not strong enough to support the weight of all the crystals? The specs only say the fixture is made of "crystals" and "alloy metal." I'm wondering if the 20" round, "alloy metal" base sags on the perimeter, due to the weight of the crystals. There are several holes in the base for additional mounting. Apparently, the mounting kit included only contains concrete anchors, which won't help in my plaster ceiling. Besides adding a wood support bracket between the ceiling joists (by climbing into my attic with no floor), is there another way to add support to the outer portion of the 20" round fixture's base? I doubt I can catch a ceiling joist with more than one or two of the holes in the base. Is there such a thing as a longer (than 4") metal bracket that can mount flush to the ceiling and to the top of the fixture's base, which you only have to attach to the existing ceiling box? I will add photos of the fixture and its base. FYI, I live in Chicago, so I have conduit raceways (EMT). The conduit and ceiling boxes are firmly supported to the ceiling joists. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Old 02-16-24, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,154 Upvotes on 3,730 Posts
Most metal electrical boxes are rated for a static load of 50lbs.
You will definitely have a steel box with EMT conduit.

There are two limiting factors.... screw size and box mounting.
Since you've had a fan on it.... it should be ok.

The base of that fixture is fairly large and putting all the weight on two box screws is not advisable.
I would use three additional mollies to hold the additional weight.
You could use a basic molly, or small toggle bolts or metal expansion anchors.
No big deal.... just some additional weight support.

Old 02-16-24, 09:51 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you! I just placed my order for the light fixture! I never used mollies before but great idea! I also ordered a setting tool & molly kit.

Old 02-17-24, 06:42 AM
Received 399 Upvotes on 348 Posts
A fixture that large needs additional support beyond the box. There are five screw holes for that around the perimeter of the mounting pan. Those will prevent the outer edge from sagging. Use mollys there.

sdodder voted this post useful.
Old 02-17-24, 07:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,154 Upvotes on 3,730 Posts
I agree with 2john.
There aren't three equally spaced holes but there are five.

sdodder voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: