Trailer Bunks

Old 05-20-18, 10:07 AM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Trailer Bunks

Another question on my 2000 Tracker trailer. The original bottom pressure treated bunks warped and split. I replaced with B-grade redwood 4 yrs ago. It is holding up nicely, but the soft wood won't hold the 3/8 lag screws. They continually loosen and fall out. I tried a SS carriage bolt thru the bunk, with a SS washer and Nylock on the trailer side. That failed because the redwood is too soft to hold the square shank of the carriage bolt, so I can't tighten the nylock. I am now thinking of SS T nuts in the redwood with a SS 3/8 bolt coming up from the trailer. Would probably have to cut the bolts off to get exact length.. Anyone have any other ideas?

As a real far out solution, I like the thought of using plastic decking 2x4's for the bunks, but can't figure how to carpet them.

Old 04-20-20, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When I did mine, I bought the lag bolt washers that have little spikes in them. Used a spade bit to counter sink them deep enough.

Old 04-21-20, 02:32 AM
M
Received 294 Upvotes on 264 Posts
Perhaps try loctite......

Old 04-21-20, 07:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
A nyloc nut does not have to be "tight" to work. If you have bolt threads protruding out the nylon end of the nut then it should not vibrate loose even if the bolt is not "tight". If you want extra security you can drill the end of the bolt and put in a cotter pin so even if it comes loose the nut can't come off the bolt. Then, just leave the sleepers as tight as you feel comfortable without crushing the wood but could even be slightly loose.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: