Boat Full Of Snow ?

Old 11-27-19, 09:05 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Boat Full Of Snow ?

I've got a 58 Lone Star 16' aluminum fishing boat sitting on the trailer, no motor. We've got 12-18" snow coming this weekend so wondering if that will hurt anything. I do have vinyl covering the bench seats.

I should be closing on a place in a week or two then I can put it in a pole barn for the winter. A bit of snow in it won't weigh that much will it?

Thanks

Old 11-27-19, 09:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I don't know whether or not it will harm it but wet snow weighs a lot more than cold dry snow. I think I'd cover it with a tarp.

Old 11-27-19, 10:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Unless the tarp is steeply sloped to let the snow slide off the boat will still be supporting the weight. I store my boats with the drain plug removed. That way when snow/ice can drain away when it melts. But, for years I've had boats outside and buried in snow and ice without damage. Antennas and other fussy bits can be damaged but the hulls, cabin and seats usually don't have trouble with the weight of snow.

Old 11-27-19, 01:55 PM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
We've got 12-18" snow coming this weekend so wondering if that will hurt anything.
Generally, 1 foot of snow is equivalent to 1 inch of water.

Would 1.5 inches of water in the boat (out of the water) would cause a problem? Not likely.

Old 11-27-19, 01:58 PM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Turn boat upside down if you can.

SOUTHIE voted this post useful.
Old 11-27-19, 02:07 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Turn boat upside down if you can
That's the state of mine this winter.

Old 11-27-19, 07:28 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I got caught by an early 4" of snow that was actually all three, rain snow and freezing rain. Thought I would be ok because it was first of Nov and we never get frozen in that early. Never say never. It froze and just yesterday thawed enough to take the hose to it today, weighed way too much to flip. Today I got it flipped with help from my tractor, 14' Aluminum. More snow coming tonight with more cold weather but flipped and on horses so it will be fine now.

Bud

Old 11-30-19, 08:52 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Turn boat upside down if you can.
I usually do but when the closing happens I'll gain two more garages so want it in there.

I was actually worried more about the trailer taking the weight but my son says I'm a crazy old man. When my boys and their friends took it up to Basswood they would load that thing up and off they went.

The trailer looks like factory tilt trailer that came with the boat, made 'em good in the old days I guess.

Antennas and other fussy bits can be damaged...
This doesn't have anything like that, just a bow compartment for my dog and his sleeping bag.

Name:  RilesBoat s.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  23.0 KB

Spring is right around the corner.^^^^

Thanks guys

Old 01-22-20, 05:44 AM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Other option if you're unable to "turn boat upside down" is... USE A TARP! Make sure you put a post so that the tarp will look like a "tent", permitting snow, sleet, rain to slide off.

I do not recommend putting boats under "shed" type carports - or similar type roof... weight of water does funny things to aluminum roofs... such as Ta Ra Ra BOOM De Ay!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: