Old Canvas care and treatment

Old 03-06-23, 06:43 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Old Canvas care and treatment

I am going to open a canvas tent that has been in storage for 25 plus years. It has been rolled up and kept in a dry area. I have unrolled it to air it and seem in good condition. I am curious as to the best steps and treatment as to preserve it.
Are there some modern sprays oils? is a good water hosing down advised. I figure some old timers out there may have some good advise or direct me in the right direction
thx

Old 03-06-23, 08:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Is it actual cotton canvas or some other (synthetic) material your referring to as canvas?

Old 03-07-23, 05:34 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
ITs the real deal Cotton Canvas and its actually more like 45 years old. I once heard that marine shops are a good source. I once heard they sell some kind of spray/liquid to help treat old canvas, since a lot of old boats still have their original canvas sail and equipment covers.

Old 03-08-23, 05:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I have used Rag Top with good luck. It comes in an aerosol can and you just spray it on clean fabric. It's designed to protect the fabric top of convertibles. It is great at improving the water proofness (if that's actually a word).

With cotton so old I bet it has a fun smell. I would try cleaning before applying anything. If it's small enough you can wash the canvas in a front load washer on a delicate cycle. Or, set the tent up outside and hose it off. Then wash it with dish soap, water and a bristle brush. That will probably let water get inside so don't be surprised. It also doesn't hurt to wash from the inside if your up to it. Rinse very thoroughly to remove all soap residue. Dry thoroughly and apply your protectant.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: