Removing Exhaust Header Bolts without Breaking Them

Old 01-13-18, 07:14 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing Exhaust Header Bolts without Breaking Them

HI Guys, anyone have a good procedure to get this out without risking breaking them off. Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 01-14-18, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Soak it, soak it, then soak it some more with something like PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench, giving it a rap with a small hammer from time to time. Give it a couple of days to work. Spray it multiple times and give it a rap. After a few days, gently try loosening it with a tightly fitting allen head socket. You can try tightening it slightly first also, then see if it backs out. If it doesn't, you'll need to apply heat directly to the head of the bolt with a propane torch and try it again. Don't force it or you may snap the head and then you'll be looking at a machine shop job.

Old 01-14-18, 04:23 PM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Agreed, you want to prep it with a penetrating solvent.

I disagree on one thing - I usually use a torch on the block AROUND the bolt,
but I apply ice cubes to the bolt head-
Idea being, I want the threaded hole in block to expand, I want the bolt to contract.

You go through a fair amount of ice cubs, and want to wear leather work gloves since you'll be close to the hot engine.
Or, try applying ice cubes to the heads of the bolts just after you shut down the engin.

Last edited by Hal_S; 01-14-18 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-14-18, 06:33 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That's a great idea. Can I just run the bike to get it hot, then cool the bolt heads with ice or water..

Old 01-15-18, 04:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Whichever method you use, apply some anti-seize to the threads on re-installation for easier removal next time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question