1985 G2 Golf Cart - sparks but will not start

Old 07-31-18, 01:42 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1985 G2 Golf Cart - sparks but will not start

Hi - Iím new to this site so hello to all and requesting some help on my golf cart. I purchased my 1985 G2 a year ago and put all new parts in. When I tried to start it last year it started and sounded great. However, the wiring was a mess so I found the G2 wiring harness on eBay and replaced the old with the new. Well, now it doesnít start. I brought it to a golf cart repairman and this is what he is saying: when he presses the accelerator to the floor he gets a spark, as he lets up on the pedal thereís nothing, when the pedal is all the way up the engine sparks. Iíve read many possible solutions but really not sure. It sounds like heís leaning towards the ignition coil or ignitor unit. Any thoughts? Appreciate the help!

Old 07-31-18, 03:11 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,327 Upvotes on 2,069 Posts
First, you have not told us what brand cart you have. I assume it's a Yamaha but you leave us guessing right off the bat.

You say you've "put all new parts" (whatever that's supposed to mean) then replaced the wiring harness you are mostly on your own since so many things have changed. If it ran before you changed the wiring harness it's a good guess that something is wrong with the wiring. Don't know what it could be if you say the engine is getting spark.

If you are getting spark at the spark plug then the most likely problem is fuel. Has the cart sat several months without being run? Try removing the spark plug and put a teaspoon of fuel directly into the cylinder or try spraying starting fluid into the carb when cranking the engine. If it sputters or fires then your problem is likely fuel related. A clogged or gummed up carburetor is a common problem.

Old 07-31-18, 04:16 PM
K
It’s a Yamaha. I had someone rebuild the engine. I put a new solenoid, ignitor unit, key switch, stop switch, carburetor, governor, throttle, brakes, wheels/tires, voltage regulator, belts, fuel pump, primary sheave, starter generator, cables, and forward/reverse switch. I thought the same thing...has to be the wiring but he said he checked it and it was ok. So I mentioned fuel too. He said he checked that. It did sit for a few months. I’m going to meet with him tomorrow and I’ll ask him to try what you suggested with me there. Thanks.

Old 07-31-18, 10:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,155 Upvotes on 3,731 Posts
he’s leaning towards the ignition coil or ignitor unit.
If it gets any spark at all..... and it does..... those parts cannot be bad.

Old 08-01-18, 06:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
An engine needs three things to run: compression, fuel and spark. Compression rarely goes bad and you said it ran previously so unless you heard some awful or unusual sounds I assume compression is OK. You've said it's getting spark. That leaves fuel. But, all of this is very basic or at least should be for anyone doing that type of work.

Old golf carts are the simplest things and about the same complexity as a lawn mower. There is no complicated electrical system and no safety swtiches. If wired correctly the engine will run when the ignition key is in the start or run position. If you suspect a wiring problem disconnect the kill/grounding wire from ignition coil/ignitor and aside from getting the engine turning for starting the engine is independent of the carts electrical system.

Old 08-01-18, 12:23 PM
K
Well I went to see what Mike (repairman) has done so far. He said heís a little baffled. There is definitely spark. Mike sprayed starter fluid into carb. It started but died out. He did it again and it started then backfired. I told him it sat for several months. He seemed to have checked everything. Any thoughts?

Old 08-01-18, 03:04 PM
P
Group Moderator
There is a fuel problem. Likely in the carburetor. Have Mike go through the cart like he would for something that sat a long time and the fuel varnished up. He'll need to remove, disassemble and clean the carburetor making sure the jets and orifices are clear. Drain out the old gas. Put everything back together and fill with fresh gas and give it a try.

It will have to be cranked more than usual (maybe 20 seconds at most) at first to get fuel pumped from the tank to the carburetor. If it still doesn't run then I'd disconnect the fuel line at the carburetor and put the hose into a jar and turn the starter for a few seconds to check that the fuel pump is working.

---
I'm think you already know this by the amount you've invested in the cart but the G2 is a good kart, especially the gas version. It's quite reliable and once you get this issue worked out you'll have a cart that could last you a lifetime.

One thing I do is run aviation gas (avgas) in my cart that doesn't get run very often. Avgas lasts much longer than auto gas and does not contain any alcohol. Even if you let the cart sit for two years the fuel will not varnish or gum up. Just take a clean, empty 5 gallon gas can to your local general aviation (small) airport and ask them for 100LL (one hundred low lead). It could be $4-5 a gallon but it's well worth it if it will sit for extended periods without being used.

100LL is great for small engines like lawn mowers, small generators and line trimmers but NEVER use it your car or anything with fuel injection or a catalytic converter. The lead in the fuel will quickly kill the car's engine oxygen sensors.

Old 08-01-18, 05:15 PM
K
Thatís what I was thinking. Thanks so much for all of your help. I really appreciate your insight! Iíll talk to Mike tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Old 08-02-18, 03:04 PM
K
Me again! I gave mike your feedback and I’m hoping he follows through. If not, I think I’ll have him drop it off and I’ll do it. Just a quick question. Why is it back firing from the carburetor? I read something about the throttle plate inside the carburetor being slightly open. If he does disassemble the carburetor, would that be corrected when he reassembled it? Or was it because he was spraying so much starter fluid into the carburetor? And btw thanks for the aviation fuel suggestion!

Old 08-03-18, 05:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
Did it backfire through the carb last year when it was running? Has any other engine work been done since it was running last year? When trying to start the cart is the battery good and charged turning the engine over quickly?

Old 08-03-18, 09:28 AM
K
Other than replacing parts there was no other engine work. It did backfire but it did set for awhile. Battery is good I had it checked.

Old 08-03-18, 10:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
You earlier said you had the engine rebuilt??? If it was rebuilt (engine taken apart) then it opens the possibility that the valve or ignition timing might be incorrect. But, before jumping to that conclusion I would positively rule out a clogged or dirty carburetor first as it is the most likely problem for it not to run.

Old 08-03-18, 11:02 AM
K
Yes I did have it rebuilt. Mike said he had to adjust the valves because they were off. I’ll wait to hear from him about the carb. If your suggestions don’t work I’ll ask him about the ignition timing. Thanks.

Old 08-06-18, 11:29 AM
K
I can’t thank you enough! Mike did everything you recommended and it still isn’t running. He said it might be the timing. I told him you thought that too. It’s extremely frustrating because I thought the person who rebuilt it was trustworthy. Your thoughts...is there a possibility that the rebuilt engine was done correctly and I did something to mess up the valves and timing?

Old 08-06-18, 12:15 PM
P
Group Moderator
Anything can be screwed-up. Most anyone with experience rebuilding small engines should be able to do the job but G2's don't have timing marks like many expect to see. Here is a thread I found on a cart forum discussing the timing.

If I remember tonight I'll dig out my repair manual to bring into work tomorrow if there is anything helpful I can scan.

Old 08-06-18, 01:52 PM
K
Thanks. Appreciate anything you can give me!

Old 08-06-18, 02:38 PM
P
Group Moderator
Sorry, my manual only goes back to the G14 model. No information on the G2. It might be worth buying the manual for your model.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question